Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scouserjoe

Reaction score
Hello all!

Can anyone help me with a bit of advice? I am looking for a better way to tackle the dust in my workshop; I have a Draper low pressure extractor (which I don't find to be very efficient) plus a small wet/dry vacuum cleaner, bought from Machine Mart. This one is OK but fills up quickly and I am finding it difficult to buy new bags for it. Neither machine is easy to connect to hand-held power tools (I have a router, sanders, and planer) or to my chop saw or router table. The Draper machine does do a reasonable job on the thicknesser but often becomes jammed with shavings. I am looking for something to be able to attach to a number of different extraction points on the machines. Also, as a woodturner, I need something that could be used to deal with the dust & chips efficiently.
I have noticed a number of possibilities on-line but don't know enough about any of them. Has anyone used any of the following machines?

SIP Saw Dust Collector 230V Model: 01929
Draper 10923 50L 1100W 230V Dust Extractor
Charnwood W680 Fine Filter Dust & Chip Extractor
Scheppach HA1000-240V 240V Dust Extractor with Reducer Kit
The Record Power DX1000 Fine Filter 45 Litre Extractor - HPLV

Thanks

Hi Joe,

I don't think the small Machinemart machine is anywhere big enough. Something like an Axi NV750 or the Record equivalent should cope with your dust producing machines and tools - they also do a model with 2 motors.

For the chip producing machines I find a 2 bag 100mm inlet low pressure extractor does the job.

For fittings and hoses look on Ebay under Henry vacs. I got some of my stuff there. Henry fittings are the same as Numatic.

John

For woodturning you need 150mm/6" ducting in order to capture the fine dust and a lot of the chips and shavings. For that you need a 2.3K/3hp as a minimum. The 150mm/6" ducting moves about three times the airflow that 100mm/4" does and you wan't to minimize flex hose as it is one third as efficient (3 metres of his is equivalent to 9 metres of duct).

Pete

Back