Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but as my single garage marches inexorably towards becoming a workshop I feel the need for some form of dust extraction to stop me getting knee deep in sawdust. It will need to cope with dust and shavings produced by Table Saw, Planer/Thicknesser, Woodrat and Random Orbital Sander.

The choice seems to be between the tall upright high volume, low pressure devices like the Axminster ADE1200 or the low volume, high pressure devices like the Record DX4000 and DX5000 reviewed on this site. The latter seem to handle finer dust but the former seem to be recommended for larger volumes of shavings from machines like a planer/thicknesser. Whatever I go for it would need to be able to handle a 100mm hose.

Space is at a premium so I don?t want anything too big. An alternative might be a high volume device for the machinery and something like the Trend T30 shopvac for the power tools. Can anyone offer any advice on what is the best option?

Andrew

Andrew,
I use two extractors, a twin bag and a little record extractor. The Record would be perfect for you, here is a link for the specs.
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/DisplayPro ... sp?p=01528
I bought mine at a show for £90, you should be able to get it for a similar price.
It's perfect for your router, sander and small power tools. But it's quite capable with the Planer/thicknesser too. And it's pretty quiet.
regards,
Philly

Andrew,

Might be wrong but I think both the Record and the Axe are low pressure / high volume.
To be a bit more constructive - I use and recemmend the DX 5000 and the Trend T30A (with fine filter)
DX5000 Plus points - price £250, performance (2Kw), 22 ltr bags, wall mounted (off the floor, outta the way), can filter down to 2 micron.
Not so plus point - bit noisey (brush motors x 2)
Trend T30
Plus Points - Cracker perfromance, 5 metres of nice bendy hose, 5 metres of cord, no need to use bags with pre-filter, good tool set and power tool adaptor, excellent back-up from Trend, power auto switch
Price is just ok, good capacity and pretty quiet running
Not so plus points - ziltch

Rgds

Noel

Noely,

I'm not sure about them both being low pressure. From the specs the Axminster is 1200m3/hr from a 0.75hp motor. The DX5000 is rated at 106l/sec = 0.106m3/sec = 382m3/hr and this is from a 2kW = 2.69hp motor. So either the DX5000 is seriously inefficient or is doing something more (higher pressure) for all that power.

Andrew

Andrew,

Hmmmm.....haven't a clue...

Time for an expert I think.

Rgds

Noel

Back