Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got to the stage now where I've got my main machines where I want them in the workshop and I'm fed up of moving the extractor to and from each machine so I think it's time to get some ducting installed.

I'm planning on getting the 100mm diameter metal ducting from APTC (haven't priced it up yet so that might change :? ). I'll be running pipes to my mitre saw, router table, thicknesser, table saw, jointer and bandsaw and of course will be using blast gates. This is where I need some advice. Can I just put the blast gates at the end of the metal ducting where it connects to the machine with a hose? or is it best to put them nearer the extractor as possible? I'm I making any sense?

Charley, doesn't make any difference performance wise where you place blast gates but the accepted and logical position would be at the end of your fixed ducting, just before the flexy hose to connect to the machine. Easy to open and close when next to the machine that requires extraction.
PM me if you want pictures. Always helps to see what others have done, or should've done......

Noel

Charley

Just as Noel says, my blast gate are used to connect the flexible hose to the fixed ducting. If you search you will find pictures of my gate making. :D As well as the cyclone building. 8)

Charlie,
I've just finished piping up the workshop and I put the blast gates as Noel says at the end of the fixed pipe, i wondered about fitting as you mention nearer the extractor and tried this on a temp basis and it made no difference to the extraction at all.

I used the Spirolux piping in 3 mt lengths at £2.45 mt it's good value, I also bought the soft bends (not 90%) as well. I used the Axminster black plastic y pieces (I avoided the t fittings) and blast gates as the Spirolux fits snugly, no annoying 1mm or2mm etc gaps to seal.

Hope this helps

I too am fed up dragging the extractor around from machine to machine and want a fully ducted system.

Can I ask what you guys have got doing the sucking and what sort of lengths are we talking about.

I don't think my mid size Jet extractor will be up to the challenge and I will need a new extractor as part of the plan.

Thanks Jeff

I've just installed a extraction system in my small workshop. I read up the subject including an American book 'Controlling Dust'. Most people gave the thumbs down to a small bore (2.5") plastic system but after much thought I went for the Camvac Duel Motor CV336/2/250 and their 2.5" piping kit which inluded all the waste gates, bends & T pieces etc.
I am delighted with the results. With all the 'wrong' bits fitted (90 degree bends, T pieces) the suction at my lathe, the furthest point from the unit, is great and the Camvac takes up no more room than a dustbin. The system has 5 wastegate points.
For the pro woodworker, I'm sure the big bore system is a must, but for the occasional amateur the 2.5 inch system may be the answer.

Regards

Jim

Thanks everyone for your help, I just need to price up my options now :? I think homemade blastgates are the way to go :)

I must get round to fitting the "UFO" thing my old man left me. The trouble is I'm a little in the dark as to what I'm sopposed to do with it too.

Has anyone got any plans/photo's/links/advice to give me some idea?

Charley

The woodsmith did a great article in the December issue of Woodworker which i am using as part of my refit on making your own blastgates.

I have a question about extraction "above" i've seen a few people run there extraction outside there workshop, i have a lot of space in the attic of my garage which has been boarded is there any problems with fitting the equipment above and running individual pipes down to the machines ie flow going up???

UKTony,
I can't see any problems with that, I've already got over 2.5mts up one wall and along the rafters with another 4.5 metres on 100mm spirolux metal tube.
I suppose it's down to the power of the extractor.

Latest posts

Back