Dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Hayden

Reaction score
A while ago, I bought an old DeWalt Radial Arm Saw, model DW320. As with all that generation of Dewalt R/A Saws, as far as I'm aware, there is a lozenge shaped dust extraction port at the top of the blade shroud. Attached to this is, usually, a rubber connection which too, is lozenge shaped at both ends. I don't have one of these, but they are available.
My question is, to what is it meant to be connected? As far as I'm aware , DeWalt don't sell a compatible hose. I could probably lash something up, but I'm tired of trying to connect power tools to extractors, as no power tool seems to have the same diameter of outlet as the next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The ones I have seen just direct the sawdust to the back of the saw where a shroud, hooked to a dust collector is. The rubber part being an elbow sends the dust back. Some people try to hook them to a shop vac but that only gets part of the dust so they still need the shroud.

Pete

I have a dw125 -

The oval hole on the blade guard has a rubber pipe from a landrover coolant system over it - tight friction fit, no clamps iirc.

The other end of the pipe is round and the same ID as fits a Henry hoover, whatever that is.

The ones I have seen just direct the sawdust to the back of the saw where a shroud, hooked to a dust collector is. The rubber part being an elbow sends the dust back. Some people try to hook them to a shop vac but that only gets part of the dust so they still need the shroud.

Pete
Thanks, Pete. I suspect a shroud might be the only answer, given that, unlike a table saw, the blade is always on the move.

I have a dw125 -

The oval hole on the blade guard has a rubber pipe from a landrover coolant system over it - tight friction fit, no clamps iirc.

The other end of the pipe is round and the same ID as fits a Henry hoover, whatever that is.
Thanks Julian. My son is into Landrovers, so should be able to identify a suitable part, and we have a couple of Henrys kicking around....

Thanks Julian. My son is into Landrovers, so should be able to identify a suitable part, and we have a couple of Henrys kicking around....

It will still kick out stuff out the back, but the tube certainly fits the top.

It would probably have been off a 300tdi around the thermostat. Ill take a photo later for you when i walk past the saw.

Back