Dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished installing extraction in my workshop, this is for laser cutter & welding fumes. Centrifugal fan off ebay that says 1200 m3 per hr, I decided on 150mm pipe as there was room for it & it drops the velocity & noise by a large amount, result is a very quiet system that works really well, So well that if the workshop door is open less than 4" the draw sucks it shut. Noise level is such that 15ft away from the outlet on the pavement you can barely hear it.

Thanks for the responses!

I was working with the assumption that the jointer has 100mm dust outlet, so keeping things 100mm seemed like a good idea. I wonder if I go with the suggested 150mm piping, then there is going to be the choke at the machine down to 100mm, if it still going to be beneficial..?

I'd want those 1 microne filters. I would imagine they would last fairly long if cyclone also fitted? I plan to really only use it on the jointer/thicknesser, so I'm hoping the shavings would be decent size, cloging the filter a bit less then, let's say, MDF on a table saw..?

Did anyone found any decent value (performance to £££) if I was to buy a new system? Blower and filters.

If the machines are limited in outlets then you are similarly limited and have to work around it. On a TS its easy enough to open the hole up on the cabinet and/or use a 100mm on the back and something substantial over the guard rather than the piddly options that usually come with them. This is obviously less easy to modify on things like a P/T. All you can do is do what you can to reduce losses as much as possible. Short runs, limited tight bends, limited amount of flex.

Just spent quite a bit of time on ebay. Majority of the blowers are 1HP which I get the feeling is not enough. 2HP usually still coming with 100mm port, still. 3HP seems rare, and often 3 phase, which I don't have.

I'm getting lost in it all, might just bite the bullet and go with this puppy. It seems to have it all, 2HP, 125mm port, cyclone, good filter. It's just pricey, and not meant to be on the wall. But maybe I would find the space for it on the ground. But damn! ...it's a lot of ££ for the planer and this.

3hp single phase is available, its just finding one used if that's what you want. Mine has clearly just been fitted with the exact same blower as the 1hp models so its got some headroom to use if I want to make an impeller.

Sadly this stuff is expensive! A 500x1000mm fine filter is listed at something like £200, a larger cyclone is even more. But it should be a cost that is largely a one time thing.

Just spent quite a bit of time on ebay. Majority of the blowers are 1HP which I get the feeling is not enough. 2HP usually still coming with 100mm port, still. 3HP seems rare, and often 3 phase, which I don't have.

We have 3-phase as standard in our houses, but you might have some success if you consider adding a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) to provide the 3-phase output from your 230V single phase input. I picked one at random, but here is a 4.4kW VFD:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverter-Single-Phase-Variable-Frequency-Controller/dp/B07GCKP4Q7

I'm getting lost in it all, might just bite the bullet and go with this puppy. It seems to have it all, 2HP, 125mm port, cyclone, good filter. It's just pricey, and not meant to be on the wall. But maybe I would find the space for it on the ground. But damn! ...it's a lot of ££ for the planer and this.

Maybe it's me, but the airflow for the inlet to the cyclone appears to be the opposite of the airflow to the filters. Everything I've read suggests the inlet and outlet airflow should match the vortex direction of rotation in the cyclone. According to the photos, the rotation of the vortex reverses direction somewhere in the cyclone.

Just to add a consideration to what Mike said about the VFD. You can increase the frequency of the current to 60 hertz like we have from the 50 hertz you have and gain almost 20% increase in airflow providing the ducting is large enough to handle it.
Pete

ok so my shop 3.3x3.3 has a 100mm extractor - whats the best plan to offer outlets for machines- thinking of running it across the high ceiling and havinga couple of drop downs that I can add to various machines? what adaptors should i use 100mm to 50mm for example?

any good places to shop for these

Thanks for the comments, appreciate the help.

I have time to think about this, as both the jointer, and extractor are still out of stock. I was in the store recently, they reckon it might be in stock for January. It's true it's one time cost, and it would probably hold good value if I was to sell. So that gives me some comfort. Warranty is also a benefit of sorts.

I've heard about VFD's, but didn't really know what they were. You learn something every day, thanks for that. It could work as a package with used 3 phaseblower, and the VFD as an on-cost, and still possibly be cheaper than the new one. But I would likely need to spend another £200 on the good filter. That would just about make it even, or slightly cheaper then new solution.

One last question about the air flow... Lets say I buy the new stuff, which is capable of 2x100mm or 1x125mm at the cyclone inlet. From previous comments, there is a significant benefit of bigger diameter. So I would run single hose of 125mm diameter all the way to the jointer, where I would have to choke it down to 100mm. I've studied the pictures, I won't be able to open it up more. Also due to the nature of the jointer, where the ducting is flipped left to right depending on the mode you have set up, I would be running flex hose. So I know that will kill performance once more. So maybe that on it's own is better larger. And the question: is this choke at the jointer going to kill the performance to a degree, where it's going to be as bad as having full run in 100mm? Or is there still going to be a benefit to the 125mm pipe?

Slightly off topic but I have an Axminster 2 bag extractor. The steel used is as thick as a soup can and 'I think' greatly contributes to the noise, has anyone applied say car noise deadening material with any good effect ?

How is the makita working out for you? I'm currently trying to source a good shopvac (Already have the cyclone and drum).

This is my mobile extractor it all works beautifully and can be moved around or in my case the hose is long enough to reach just about everywhere

How is the makita working out for you? I'm currently trying to source a good shopvac (Already have the cyclone and drum).
Hi im sorry if this is late I've been poorly the vac in question works very well and the cyclone, I would recommend both
Regards
Peter

Latest posts

Back