Dust Extraction to my Radial Arm Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzeman

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from my W.I.P. on my Power Tool Storage work as come to a halt to allow me to install/make a Venuri extraction unit for my R.A.S.
Showing it as W.I.P. is a useful discapline to progress and not become distracted say by watching the Olympics. This is the start photo and the amount of dust was made from 3 cuts on a 9"x1" softwood board.

DSCN4727.JPG

The first task I did was to make an end panel from my stock of 1/2" ply (being 4' 0" long by 11 3/4")
There is an existing cabinet to the left of the R.A.S. and by projecting its line down to the bench showed it would interfere with the RAS base clamp by a 1/4" so I rebated the top edge of RH end board.

DSCN4731.JPG

DSCN4734.JPG

DSCN4733.JPG

I could then work out the dimensions for the width. This was prior to reading the moderators post giving sizes. you can observe an arrow below the 430 dim pencilled on my shed lining Only about 15 mill so I was quite pleased.

DSCN4736.JPG

I then made my Sketchup drawing for fabricating the other panels

Drawing+venturi+2nd+.jpg

At close of play today set out the RH end panel ready for Routing Monday

DSCN4735.JPG

Mike:

I presume you can't put your hookup below the table. If you could, you'd have gravity working in your favor. Here's mine:
RAS_box_top.jpg

RAS_box_bottom1.jpg

RAS_hookup.jpg

The box stops the dust and (hopefully) deflects it downwards, while a 6 inch hose connects from below. The main intent was to keep it flat so I didn't have to move the RAS any farther from the wall. The hose comes out from under the right side and hooks to the pipe on the wall. The box area immediately behind the RAS table (as opposed to above and below the table) necks down to only about 2" from front to back, giving the same venturi effect you're mentioning, but gravity helps pull the dust down after it hits the back wall.

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

That was the original intention to make a hook up below the table. At the moment I am going through a number of alterations/modifications. My existing pipework to the RAS was at high level and at the time of the moderators post last week most of the existing had been stripped. Another workshop project was re-wiring, installing electrical ducting andplacingpower points close to where the kit is and third I needed to store my power tools in a manner that looked after them better and the ones I used most including essential equipment ie pencils, squares clamps are within an arms length.. Its a juggling act between the position of the cabinet, the pipework for the dust extraxtion and the location and feed runs of power points.
The moderators RAS dust extraction method of using a Venturi makes sense and I am giving it a try despite having to re-think my wiring and tube work. If not I will go back to gravity feed but still using a Ventura.

Thanks for the interest shown and picts of your system.

Very interesting.

The parts cut out with exposed edges rounded over and cutting out the hole for the blast gate

DSCN4737.JPG

The blast gate fitted then did a dry run and found blast gate 6mm too high. Awkward as lowering hole would affect airtightness.

The dry run

DSCN4738.JPG

The amount needed to be trenched out, a bit awkward care will have to be taken.

DSCN4740.JPG

I will do this tommorrow with a better frame of mind

The assembled Venturi box from the front

DSCN4742.JPG

And from the rear

DSCN4742.JPG

The fitting of the blast port was more awkward then envisaged due to drilling the hole too high. (get it right next time)
The Venturi box fitted insitu

DSCN4746.JPG

Temporary hook up to my Cam Vac Extra parts ordered expected tommorrow

DSCN4748.JPG

It works tested cutting 3/4" MDF with minimum dust. When the extra fittings arrive from Cam Vac will complete the tubing which will then tel me where to fix the electric duct and wiring.

Good news Mike, looks well and I'm glad it works. That'll be £50 please, cash only....:)

Can you take it off easily to make angled cuts? It looks like you make cuts with the arm swung to the right, and there's no room there now.

Kirk

I dont know Kirk I will give it a try.

I will have a look and see whats left in the Piggy Bank Noel other wise its back to singing in the streets.

No Kirk at the momement it can only turn left. DOH! Now I know why Noel had that extention I thought it was due to availability of ply. I can adapt mine by fixing hinges and then I would be able to swing it. At least I have saved fifty quid I can now pay Noel by cheque.

DSCN4752.JPG

I have inserted an extra blast gate and performance has improved but now I am thinking would a hopper improve performance even better using my shop vac underneath?

DSCN4753.JPG

Back