dust extraction question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbirch

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a small two bag dust extractor, which I use with my lathe and bandsaw. It does a reasonable job, but suffers from the familiar problem of recirculating a good proportion of the dust extracted back into the workshop.
I am thinking of building a small annexe to my workshop to site it in and free up some space at the same time.
I know some of you have done likewise, so my questiion is
How do I switch it on/off? As it is fitted with a NVR switch I can`t do it via a switched socket inside the workshop. I guess I`ll need to override the NVR switch.
As you`ll probably have gathered, I know absolutely nothing about electrics. Any advice appreciated!

ian

1 remove switch and place in workshop
2 get a sparky to do same

or

3 cut a hole in joining wall put hand through to push switch

Tazmaniandevil":3ilisy51 said:
Buy one of these and mount it in the workshop, and plug an extension in which will feed the extractor.

but that won't work unless he removes/bypasses/disables the one on his dust extractor....you can't leave it 'on'.

I'm with Chrispy - if it's a self contained switchbox (which most seem to be) I would move that one, adding the necesary appropriate flex between unit and switch (or get a sparky to do it)

Yes he just needs one of these chocolate box connectors
86064.jpg

and a length of flex between the switch and the motor.

Another alternative would be to fix an upturned bucket and a length of hose onto the dust extracto in place of the filter bag, pass the pipe from the bucket through the wall into the the annex and just site the filter there. It's a hole in the wall and means having the extractor in the worshop but may be more elegant than the hole in the wall fo rthe switch ;-)

HTH
Jon

surely this an opportunity for a full blown heath robinson approach...
heath9sep2008.jpg

i'm sure the guys can up with something :mrgreen:

failing that the sensible option is moving the original switchbox to inside the shed (i would imagine there are only two or three cores max to extend)

1.unplug
2. open switch box
3. determine size and number of wires from the 'out' side of the switch
4. purchase appropriate length of appropriate flex (probably http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/ ... index.html
and a small (outdoor) junction box( http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK108B.html) to replace the original switch box on machine.
5.disconnect 'out' wires from switch box.
6.remove switch box.
7.relocate switch box.
8. run new flex from 'out' terminals in switchbox to new junction box mounted on machine and connect with appropriate terminal block .
9. check everything twice.
10. plug in
11. invite someone to switch it on :D
so in short you are just extending the 2 or 3 cores of cable that come out of the switch and go to the motor.

usual disclaimers, safety hat etc...

ps saw this in the vets yesterday....
m_drontalmain.jpg

is that you? :mrgreen:

nev":3szd5ng3 said:
i'm sure the guys can up with something

well the full blown version would be to move the lathe and bandsaw outside the workshop when in use........ (homer)

not quite sure why I used that smilie because this is how I do it!

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I understand what I need to do now.
Nev; just the information I was looking for - the idiots guide (but I`m not sure I understand your wiring diagram :lol: )
ps saw this in the vets yesterday....
is that you? :mrgreen:

Yep, me and the missus - our modelling careers have really taken off :lol:

Ian

jumps":2762g2pc said:
nev":2762g2pc said:

well the full blown version would be to move the lathe and bandsaw outside the workshop when in use........ (homer)

I take it the rain keeps the dust down Jumps? :mrgreen:

If you follow Nevs destruxtions you won't go far wrong. The electrifical ones that is. He does get a bit carried away so just ignore his 'eaf Robbinson jobbie :twisted: . It's probably about time he was vetted anyway. They reckon it's painless unless the vet catches his thumbs between the bricks, that would also sort out his worms too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":pfkbxpfw said:
jumps":pfkbxpfw said:
nev":pfkbxpfw said:

If you follow Nevs destruxtions you won't go far wrong. The electrifical ones that is. He does get a bit carried away so just ignore his 'eaf Robbinson jobbie :twisted: . It's probably about time he was vetted anyway. They reckon it's painless unless the vet catches his thumbs between the bricks, that would also sort out his worms too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OUCH :shock:

Jonzjob":2ph6h66r said:
jumps":2ph6h66r said:
nev":2ph6h66r said:

well I did build a roof a couple of years ago, and last week I added an end wall too (removable) because I had some cladding and studding left over from another job and it was getting in the way!

so no, not the rain... I use an Airshield and still have to sweep up the shavings - but in breezy conditions the dust eventually just 'blows away' :D

I'll see if I can take a pic when I do the latest challenge pics, and post it here.

Back