Dust extraction piping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hannaby

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using the 100mm plastic pipes sold for home ventilation as a substitute for the pipes sold for dust extraction? The only difference I can see is that they aren't clear so if a blockage happened it might take longer to find out where it was.

The reason for the question is that the home ventilation pipes are less than half the price of the dust extraction pipes and they also come in longer lengths so less joints would be needed.

I have n't tried them, but presumably they are just as smooth on the inside so should n't disrupt the airflow. I've just done a quick google and could only find them in 350mm lenghts so where have you found them in longer lengths?

are you talking about the flexible stuff, if so I don't think it would last very long, the kitchen stuff is very thin.

If you have a lot to do then spiral metal ducting is best but for home workshops 110mm soil pipe works well.

I've about 20m in two 10m parallel runs with a 3hp extractor. It keeps pace with a 200mm planer which is at the far end from the extractor.

If you glue (PU foaming stuff) 100mm gates into the end of the pipes, this makes an easy transition to proper transparent 100mm flexi to the machines.
The tumble drier stuff is useless.

Bob

The pipes I'm talking about is the rigid pipe, not the flexible stuff. Like these and cost £12.05 per 2m length.

The axminster ones are here and cost £14.50 per 910mm length

I just wondered if anyone else had used the cheaper stuff for dust extraction and whether it was robust enough for the job.

9fingers":3133bw0p said:
Lets see how many Bob's we can get replying to one thread eh?

My other name is Rob :)

As an afterthought, a few years ago I scrounged a few 6m lengths of white plastic pipe that contractors were using to protect service cables along the roadside. it was about 100mm so with the amount of cable tv work going on it might be worth keeping an eye open.

I had a look at the local builders merchants at the 100mm ducting pipe and it would probably be ok but it might not stand up to being bashed with the big boards I sometimes move around so in the end I went for the 110mm waste pipe.

I see axminster do adapters from 110 to 100mm pipe so I'll probably get a couple of those to covert each end. I didn't like the idea of gluing a blast gate to the end of the pipe, I found from experience that occasionally the channels in the plastic gates can get clogged with compressed dust and need occasional cleaning. This would be easier to do if eveything could be easily dismantled.

Paul Hannaby":21dw4e6u said:
I found from experience that occasionally the channels in the plastic gates can get clogged with compressed dust and need occasional cleaning. This would be easier to do if eveything could be easily dismantled.

These gates do indeed block. If they are part of a transition form 110mm to flexi pipe then it is failty easy to unblock by removing the flexi and clearing the trapped dust. A long reach 2mm allen key is an excellent tool for this. Do it with the extractor on and a piece of string tied to the allen key - just in case.

Over the year I have found that to minimise this type of blockage, alway install the gate in vertical flowing pipes and close the gate with the extractor on as the high airflow just as the gate closes helps suck out the dust.

hth

Bob

Latest posts

Back