Dust extraction if only hand tools???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubtoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy new year all!

I currently only use hand tools* for my woodworking (which is purely hobby based). What precautions should I be taking with wood dust? Do I need a full extraction system or will dust masks suffice?

Cheers,

Jonny

* I do use battery and bench drills from time to time.

Like you, I only use hand tools on European and British hardwood (mostly Oak and Ash) through choice in my indoor workshop. I avoid exotic timbers as a general rule for pernicious dust and I never, ever use MDF which is the worst thing ever, in my opinion.

Not being a complete glutton for unnecessary punishment, I do use small Kity thicknesser coupled to a Fercell chip collector in an outside garage / wood store. Other than that, everything is by hand. The dimensioned boards are brought inside for a few weeks to settle down.

I do take dust seriously, but I don’t use abrasives and this keeps it to a minimum more than anything else. However, there is some dust and I find that indoors a Microclean filter (from Axy many years ago) and the occasional dust mask will suffice. However, I do hoover up regularly with a triple-filter vac. My wife is ultra-critical about dust in the house and this does the trick.
Whatever you do, you can't avoid it but it is open to sensible management and I don't intend to go over the top and live or work in a factory.

Shavings? I burn logs on an open fire and use the long plane shaving to light it – best fire lighters ever. The planer chips go to the chickens down the road for bedding.

stubtoe":3k2se6fd said:
Happy new year all!

I currently only use hand tools* for my woodworking (which is purely hobby based). What precautions should I be taking with wood dust? Do I need a full extraction system or will dust masks suffice?

Cheers,

Jonny

* I do use battery and bench drills from time to time.
You don't need anything. Just go around with a brush and dustpan now and then. Or hoover.

If you happen to be sensitive, some exotics can cause problems, but if you're using handtools, you only get dust when sanding. Otherwise you get sawdust, and (lovely....) shavings.

So just wear a mask when sanding.

Some people react to (some) exotics just on handling them, in which case even "full" dust extraction wouldn't help.

BugBear

Most dust around the house comes from our skin. 8)
So I am told!

Not having a separate finishing area, I let dust lie in my shop, until I complete a finishing job. Then I do as Jacob suggests.
I ought to get some extraction for my planer mind, but I think the Council will believe I am running a business. I already had problems trying to get them to take offcuts away!

John :wink:

Not come across any exoctics yet so will have to take my chances (although having just had an allergic reaction to some snails I may steer clear!).

Dust mask for sanding noted. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back