Dust extraction hose type and connections

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonm

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to sort out my dust collection, starting with the hose and how it connects to the tool.

I have the following mains electric tools which I wish to connect (port sizes Int/Ext given in mm)

Portable tools
Circular/ track saw 31/37
Hand Planer 56/60
Jigsaw 25/31
Orbital Sander 25/31

Stationary Tools (lifted on to workbench)
Sliding mitre saw 35/42
Table Saw 35/40

I also have a Band saw (port 58/63) which may have to go on a separate system.

I am looking for a good quality, flexible, non snagging, (anti static?) hose and appreciate it may not be cheap. I also want to sort out the length and diameter of the hose plus how it will connect to the different tools. I looked at the following video

This recommends the festool hose which does look good and I have used one and it was very good. They come in different sizes, D27/32 and 36mm and also with different connectors fitted. I have seen some recommendations to use the 36mm hose to give better suction but my concern is that would be more cumbersome.

I would appreciate some advice, I am not fixed on festool hose, main criteria is as I stated above, including the connections as some look incredibly cumbersome. Once I have sorted the hose I will then deal with sorting the vacuum machine.

I appreciate that a hose suitable for sawdust may not be suitable for my Makita hand electric planer, but again some advice here would be helpful.

There may be some overlap on this with the following recent post but that was more about the connections.

Trying to find any sort of standardisation in port, hose, and adaptor sizes in tools is about as likely as finding a someone with taste that like Budweiser. So, how do we approach this?

I just use whatever I find from old hoovers, and use HoseWrap to stop the hose from snagging. Maninshed (John McGrath?)did a recent video and suggested a cheaper source for hose wrap -

I just use whatever I find from old hoovers, and use HoseWrap to stop the hose from snagging. Maninshed (John McGrath?)did a recent video and suggested a cheaper source for hose wrap -
Thankyou for the pointer, I found his video on hosewrap and Knightsbridge electrical connectors (£6 a pair) very interesting. Also his follow up video on Neutrix electrical connectors, socket £11 and plug £16. Advice about not using “kettle” connectors was interesting.

I can also see that buying an expensive festool smooth hose and then clipping a cable to it you have clips to catch. So a normal ridged hose with wrap around both the cable and hose could be a better solution.

Last edited:
I can also see that buying an expensive festool smooth hose and then clipping a cable to it you have clips to catch. So a normal ridged hose with wrap around both the cable and hose could be a better solution.
Yes, that's exactly what I have done - stops the hose catching on the edge of the bench - particularly useful with the track saw. I also use Neutrik Powercons and Centec Vac Hose connectors - there's another post running just now with details of my set up.

Back