Dust Extraction Grounding/Earthing??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BodgeJob

Reaction score
Hi all,

My dust extraction system is all set up - it’s working great - but I’m getting belting arm-numbing :roll: static-electric shocks from it.

Can anyone advice how they’ve grounded/earthed their setup?

I’ve watched a few YouTube videos - but I don’t know if they are being overlay complicated - one guy wrapped copper wire all the way round the ducting, and ran a cable down the pipes themselves.

I’d like to know if there is a simpler way, or how you have solved the shocking problem?

Thanks so much!

Run a continuous strip of self adhesive aluminium tape along the outside of the ducting & connect the end to earth, mine goes onto the metal of the of the dust collection canister which is earthed.

BodgeJob":2v1dtlkx said:
......how they’ve grounded/earthed their setup?........

Notts, I see. Then it's earthed, not grounded. :wink: People have died in the past so that we can carry on speaking English.

Doug B":31xexk4u said:
Run a continuous strip of self adhesive aluminium tape along the outside of the ducting & connect the end to earth, mine goes onto the metal of the of the dust collection canister which is earthed.

An Electrician did a video about installing an extraction system and he specifically said not to put the wire on the outside as it won't do anything (has to go inside).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=812Ez9OT0As
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFCOlYXx5c

If your tubing is metal and its fixed to the wall with pipe clips, just remove the rubber pads from the clips. Job done.

If its plastic, run a bare copper earth wire along the inside of the ducting and EARTH ( :roll: :lol: ) it at one or both ends.

MikeG.":35ptefc5 said:
BodgeJob":35ptefc5 said:

Notts, I see. Then it's earthed, not grounded. :wink: People have died in the past so that we can carry on speaking English.
Do you get an alert every time someone says header or something?

transatlantic":2uamxl8a said:
An Electrician did a video about installing an extraction system and he specifically said not to put the wire on the outside as it won't do anything.

But I’m not suggesting a wire & from my experience the tape does help with the build up of static on the outside of ducting which can lead to static shocks

How is the ali tape earthed? The adhesive is an insulator between the pipe and the tape, so if your earthing is solely to the tape thats not a very good earth. You can test that buy laying a piece of that tape onto any metal surface and then use a multitester to see what reading you get between the tape and the metal. it might "shock" you. :shock:

I sometimes used my Festool ts 55 on my bench connected to Festool extractor with a NON antistatic hose, never had a problem, didn't know what all the fuss was.

I built a boom arm over my bench with a Festool antistatic hose attached but had to extend it with 2m of non antistatic hose to the extractor. Sometimes the hanging hose would catch my ear and give me a shock which was really uncomfortable (and dangerous as it always made me jump). I realised that in the past the non antistatic hose was always trailing on the floor which was grounding it. I ran a piece of wire from the end of the antistatic hose to the extractor where the non antistatic hose section is and it cured the problem.

sunnybob":jybb4r5v said:
How is the ali tape earthed? The adhesive is an insulator between the pipe and the tape, so if your earthing is solely to the tape thats not a very good earth. You can test that buy laying a piece of that tape onto any metal surface and then use a multitester to see what reading you get between the tape and the metal. it might "shock" you. :shock:

All I know is prior to putting this tape on the ducting the pipe & wall & ceiling around the pipe used to be covered in dust attracted by the static which built up on it when in use.

80D8EE94-3A99-4DF2-95C7-0AD3ADF385CD.jpeg

It doesn’t build up like it used to do now.
Now to my way of thinking the static builds up because of particules moving inside the pipe yet the static forms on the outside of the pipe so does it pass the plastic? If so a layer of adhesive isn’t going to stop it.
That said the OP was asking about build up of static on the outside of duct work & this is what I’ve done to try & prevent it, as to earthing the tape I simply folded it until it fitted in a connector block & connected this to the earth via the machine

B98F1801-47FA-4471-AD4C-90DC1F0B57F2.jpeg

Attachments

• B98F1801-47FA-4471-AD4C-90DC1F0B57F2.jpeg
    B98F1801-47FA-4471-AD4C-90DC1F0B57F2.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 80D8EE94-3A99-4DF2-95C7-0AD3ADF385CD.jpeg
    80D8EE94-3A99-4DF2-95C7-0AD3ADF385CD.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 271
My extraction system gives static shocks.....I quite like them, it gives me energy.

In the summer I generally have a siesta after lunch.....if I have more than 10 minutes I feel groggy, so then this occurs I start the extraction system up and give myself a shock.....then I'm rearing to go!

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I know it's desirable that you should earth the dx system, but I've never bothered with mine and it's been fine for donkey's years; not even a tiny tingle - Rob

I think cutting/machining/sanding man made boards & materials tend to create far more static than natural timbers.....Perhaps you dont use a lot of man made boards?

I have anti static hoses for my Festool dust extractors and they work a treat. Occasionally, I use a non antistatic hose on the dust extractor when I'm using it to clean the floor and I constantly get shocks off the hose... !

I can’t believe the number of replies you get on this forum, it’s fantastic! :D

(Even when you’re getting told off for using American words on a British forum. Thanks Mike)

Distinterior - you are right! I’m working with MDF (the reason I wanted the extraction system)

So it sounds mixed about best way to earth the system. I will try the silver tape first as it’s the easiest. Running a cable down the inside could be a problem with the gates.

Thanks again.

BodgeJob":2yu2tqdv said:
......(Even when you’re getting told off for using American words on a British forum. Thanks Mike)........

You were only told off because you're a newcomer. If you'd have been an old hand, you'd have been hauled off to the stocks or the flogging tree. :lol:

MikeG.":3tybqo49 said:
BodgeJob":3tybqo49 said:

> "earthed"

There is no noun that cannot be verbed

static generated by high speed flow of non conductive material (flow electrification) is annoying, dangerous and sometimes deadly. However in the workshop its fairly easy to cure, the easiest way is to raise the humidity above 65%RH but in a woodworking environment that's not always possible.
Surface drains often don't work very well, likewise internal copper wire due to its low surface area is not always a solution.
Their are commercially available anti static drain cords but they can be expensive. The cheap solution is to knot together a run of xmas tree tinsel long enough to go from one end of your system to the other, drill an inspection hole at the furthest end of your extract, and turn on the fan, feed the tinsel into the inspection hole until your confident its made it all the way to your cyclone or bin.
Then earth, or ground (in this case the true definition is ground but that's a discussion for another time).
The tinsel has a very high surface area and this scoops up the charge generated within the plastic pipe really well, and its cheap, just make sure the tinsel is of the conductive type.

Really? You'd go to all the trouble of putting in a run of smooth bore pipes with swept bends to reduce the resistance and turbulence, then put a piece of christmas tinsel in there?

MikeG.":2rwepoal said:
Really? You'd go to all the trouble of putting in a run of smooth bore pipes with swept bends to reduce the resistance and turbulence, then put a piece of christmas tinsel in there?

Christmas must be fun round your house Mike :wink:

Pete

Back