Dust extraction for tiny workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiveforty

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice/recommendations as to what extractor would be best for my setup.

I primarily use hand tools so my current dust extraction is a dustpan and brush.

Anything with power is used outside (mother nature is my dust extractor here), which is fine if it isn't the winter or the great British summer (when rain stops play).

So I'm building a tiny workshop (and I mean tiny) that's roughly 4.5 m2 (49 ft2), with constraints on the workshop size the extractor needs to be fairly compact.

Power tools I currently use:
- Tracksaw
- Random Orbital Sander
- Router
- Table Saw
- Mitre Saw
- Bandsaw

Will probably be picking up a benchtop thicknesser and a lathe in the future.

The extractors I've been looking at are:
- Numatic NV750
- Numatic NVD750
- Festool CTL Mini
- Festoon CTL Midi
- Record Power DX4000

Not going to be running any ducting, with just hook up a tool/machine as and when I need it.

Is any of these better/worse and the others (should I be staying clear of any of them)?

Thanks for any help

No experience of the festool.

But if using the PT then you need a chip extractor rather than a dust extractor. (Low pressure high volume) no 2+5.

Cheers James

What is said above.

You need a chip extractor for PT and table saw (depending on what kind of table saw it is, yes if it has a 63mm or 100mm port)

For the other power tools you have, you can get a good household vacuum line Henry and rig up a cyclone. It will be very efficient, you don't have to replace bags or empty it often if you have a good sized tub under the cyclone. And if you pick the right vacuum (new or used) you get the HEPA filtration for a fraction of the cost.

Rig it all up on a trolley and you will have a nice mobile option for your workshop.

Thanks for your replies.

I have seen a few people use the RP DX4000 on floor standing PT without any problems, if I do get a thicknesser it will only be a little benchtop one (had been looking at a Makita which I think takes a 75mm hose??), but this is just a daydream I'm fine for the most part doing it by hand with a number 5 plane.

Table saw is a DeWalt DW745 think that 100mm, but I've seen them stepped down to 32mm.

Already have a Henry, but haven't been that impressed with the collection of dust from the power tools... for clean up afterward perfect tho!

As my shop is going to be so small, most of the machine work is still going to have to take place outside... will only be just enough room to push a 1m board through a machine. So currently more concerned with dust that chip extraction.

Last edited:
Back