Dust extraction for spray tan?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helvetica

Established Member
Reaction score
My missus runs a beauty salon and a large part of the business is applying spray tan to make the pale local girls look a little more exotic. (She can’t help if they have thick ankles though). The spray isn’t nasty, but the girls do a lot of tans the room has a bathroom-style extractor fan, a good quality one apparently but still. I got her to buy FFP3 disposable masks and chuck them when the inside starts discolouring. She gets 2 uses out of them.

I think she needs better extraction. I’m thinking of maybe a jet air filtration system in the room to help the ceiling extractor. Or maybe it should be replacing the ceiling extractor with a big impeller. She draws the line and a helmet or even a face mask. Not just impractical to work, but the clients would think they are in Chernobyl and just go elsewhere.

I even thought of a sanding vacuum table on its side that the client would stand in front of, might be bulky but could work.

Any thoughts on a decent solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a small spray booth. They usually come with an extractor.

Before you do anything you should find out the size of the particles she is dealing with. Find out from the maker of the spray equipment and product or buy a particle counter. It is pointless to try things without knowing because it may send you guys off in the wrong direction. That's costly and might not be effective.

Pete

If she's going through an FFP3 in less than a day, You better find a solution QUICK!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Just remember the golden rule;
you cant drag air out of a room unless you let air into the room.
No point putting big extractors in if theres no inflow.

One of the bigger microclene (now Thor) air filters was actively promoted for use when spray tanning.
It was the model that could sit on a shelf or wall mount. Drew air in the front and exhausted backwards / to both sides.
I have an old second hand microclene filter of a different model and find it pretty fast at cycling the air in a singe car size workshop but it is noisy.
I've more recently bought a couple of the biggest round models for another shop. They are also noisy and I think the quality has gone off a little, but when the filters are new they also move and filter a lot of air.
I suspect the trick to these machines is to buy filter media in bulk from the guys who supply automotive paint booths and to cut it down yourself. It's relatively cheap when you buy big wide rolls. That way you can afford to change it every week or three without it costing a fortune.

Helvetica":2wrpjgpc said:
I got her to buy FFP3 disposable masks and chuck them when the inside starts discolouring. She gets 2 uses out of them.

Blimey! So Mrs H's mouth is white (or whatever her ethnic normality is - absolutely no pigeon-holing intended, but I hope you get my point), but what on earth is the colour of the rest of her?

Helvetica":2wrpjgpc said:
I think she needs better extraction.
Er, so do I!

I don't own a spray booth, and I've used one only a couple of times, so I'm no expert, but I do believe that the folded-card type filters do a good job of filtering. I don't think you can move a lot of air quickly, though, without it being noisy, that's just physics.

sunnybob":3fg0ryhc said:
https://spraytan.solutions/collections/booths-tents-extraction/products/tanning-essentials-twister-portable-extraction-system

The spec blurb on that says it filters down to 4 micron. That would remove all the visible particles but still leave all the invisible stuff that go into the deepest parts of the lungs. She would still need to wear a mask. It is also going to work like a room air filter in the shop taking hours to remove the particles if you aren't doing more work at the same time, all the while you are still breathing it. You are helping the filter clean the air. :wink: It's a good start but more is needed.

Pete

What protection do the clients have whilst receiving their tan?

Back