Dust extraction for Ros - hplv Vs hvlp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a mirka Ros, connected up to a Henry vacuum cleaner.

I'm guessing this is hplv. Anyway, it works nicely, apart from the bags seem to get blocked with the fine dust.

I tried adapting down my 100mm hose from a larger jet / Axminster extractor but, by the time I'd got down to the inch port on the sander, whilst there was still flow, the dust extraction wasn't nearly as complete.

Is this just the way it is? I need the large extractor for things like the planer, but its no good for the sander, and then I need a more traditional hoover for the sander?

Is there a trick to getting the fine dust out before it hits the Henry? I'd imagine cyclone units don't really work so well on fine dust?

Thank you

As I understood it Vac style extractor for sanding/hand tools like saws (small bits), HVLP (I think is the right terminology) extractor for planing/thicknessing (chips and bigger bits) — mostly about what you’re trying to extract gives you an idea which is better.

there’s a good thread on here about extraction — worth a read.

Cyclones reduce waste hitting filters/bags, so worth it for vac style extractors, something I’m planning on getting shortly to reduce bag burden!

Yes, you need the shop vac style machine with your ROS. The bag type extractors are useless for this application.
Fine dust does tend to clog filters, it's a fact of life. Also, a greater percentage of it passes through cyclones than happens to larger, heavier debris.
I haven't noticed a problem using sanders with a decent quality power tool extractor like Nilfisk (Mirka's own brand extractors are made for them by Nilfisk, just in yellow) or Starmix/Metabo/Mafell vacuums.

One point to note - I've tried extracting sanders using a high quality commercial vac (like a bigger quieter Henry) and it works fine for a while but tends to overheat and shut off after 20-30 minutes use.
The reason is that many vacuums rely on the dirty air through the hose to cool the motor. Restrict this too much like when a sander is sitting on a surface so that the suction holes are largely covered and there isn't enough airflow to cool the motor.
Better power tool extractors use a so called "bypass motor" for suction. These draw in some cool outside air directly into the motor to keep it from overheating even if the hose gets blocked.

Last edited:
Is there a trick to getting the fine dust out before it hits the Henry? I'd imagine cyclone units don't really work so well on fine dust?

I used a Dust Commander S30 cyclone connected to a Kärcher HPLV shop vacuum for my garage work. This version with the metal bin is no longer available on the German Amazon, but has been replaced with the plastic bin for €80. I couldn't find a similar version on the UK Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/DUST-COMMANDER-P30-liter-plastic/dp/B0174MGW2G/
It works great for the fine dust, and just about anything else. After hours of sanding with a Bosch ROS, I didn't see anything in the Kärcher bag, but the cyclone bin was full of fine dust. I now use the Ultimate Dust Deputy on my Festool CT36, and the bag in the CT36 is still pristine.

I use a Nilfisk hover with my Bosch ROS and dust is no problem. Even using the bosch with just the supplied filter bag is fine, although it can fill rather quick.

I use a lumberjack HPLV with my ROS which works well, it does clog after a while but a quick blow off and it's good to go again.

Can't go wrong when you can pick them up second hand for around £30 or less

I used a Dust Commander S30 cyclone connected to a Kärcher HPLV shop vacuum for my garage work. This version with the metal bin is no longer available on the German Amazon, but has been replaced with the plastic bin for €80. I couldn't find a similar version on the UK Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/DUST-COMMANDER-P30-liter-plastic/dp/B0174MGW2G/
It works great for the fine dust, and just about anything else. After hours of sanding with a Bosch ROS, I didn't see anything in the Kärcher bag, but the cyclone bin was full of fine dust. I now use the Ultimate Dust Deputy on my Festool CT36, and the bag in the CT36 is still pristine.

Thank you,

I, pretty much, have one of those, but its currently broken (needs a new drum, as the hose got blocked, and the cyclone dissapoeared down, through the drum lid!)

But ive only ever used it with the alloy chippings from the cnc mill (so way heavier particles) - it works flawlessly with them. Or rather worked...

I just assumed the fine dust would be too much for it, but, on the strength of your comments, i should repair it and probably even get another - thank you.

Back