Dust Extraction for Hammer/Felder Machines with 120mm ports

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianjupp

Reaction score
Hi

My first post as a newbie here so do forgive me if I've missed the answer to these questions elsewhere...

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a couple of Hammer machines (a C3-31 and N4400) for my newly built workshop (5 x 3m) and, now that they are ordered, have turned my attention to dust extraction for these 2 machines. I'm thinking of hooking them up to a 3HP SIP extractor (good price) to get myself going with the ultimate plan being to take the motor off of this extractor to power a home-made Bill-Pentz-style cyclone when I get time. Once this is done, I'm then planning to run a few meters of 150mm fixed ducting leading to flex ducting closer to the machines. As anyone with a Hammer (or Felder?) knows, they have 120mm/50mm dust ports but, with (some of) Bill's advise in mind, I was planning on running something larger that 120/50 up to these machines (I was thinking 140 & 80mm) and using the Felder converters to drop from 140->120 and 80->50 as close to the dust ports as I can. So, after that ramble, my questions....

1) For those with Hammer/Felder machines, does this sound like a sensible plan & what set-up do you have in terms of fixed & flex duct size, reducers, etc?
2) Does anybody know where I can get a 150 to 140mm reducer if I do go ahead with the above plan?

(Any other thoughts are also welcome of course)

Many thanks.
Ian

Are you sure the sip has enough suction to extract from the machines you mention. You'll need a good head of steam to pull from the big hoods of those machines. The instruction manual in each machine from H&F tells you the correct air volume you need to pull along with the PU rating (static pressure needed).

As for ducting, if you've got any real distance to travel i would go for 150mm on the main trunk and then drop to 120mm at the hood of the machines with flex, (have a look for spiral ducting, comes in lots of sizes with lots of different reducers etc).

Hi ian
Welcome to the forum I use the same machines you have on order including the SIP 3hp extractor the only difference is that I use 110mm ducting soil pipe my system works a treat

Now if you you increase the main duct to 150mm you may get more suction but thats a big pipe to route round a 5x3 mtr workshop i don't think I would bother

Use 110 and benefit from the lower cost

Wheres the SIP going to live
mines in a lean to outside the workshop so the ducting runs are quite long still works okay

I hope this puts you on the right track

Possibly a bit pointless to go anything over 125mm as the inlet on the SIP extractor is 125mm (if you have the same one I have). Over a small workshop 5x3m and a 3hp extractor 125mm will provide you with more than enough suction and flow and there's no need for the extra expense. A good friend of mine has all hammer kit and he runs 100mm up to all the units from a 3 phase industrial extractor and gets decent extraction, he however would benefit from upping to 150mm ducting all around as his workshop is large and he has a very powerful extractor.

Thank you very much for the comments.

Chems - The SIP extractor I am considering is the 'SIP 01954 3hp Single Column' which, according to the SIP site, can be used with 1 x 150mm or 2 x 100m - is that wrong?

JohnF - Great to hear from someone with the exact same machines - I am adding a lean-to at the back of my workshop and was contemplating housing my extractor in there so good to hear that this works well.

I think I may consider dropping from 150mm to something a bit smaller based on the comments but will still be left with some transitions somewhere along the line from 150 from the extractor to 120 on the machines - with regard the second part of my question, does anybody know where you can source these from?

Thanks
Ian

Not trying to be rude here but, it seems a bit pointless using ducting that's less than the 120mm machine hood size.
It might work Ok, but it would work a hell of a lot better to be at least the same size or better still even bigger size on the main run.

Hot tip. use spiral ducting it's cheaper than plastic soil pipe, comes in better sizes, comes with a wide range of fittings etc , lightweight but strong and looks a hell of a lot better imho and a doddle to fit.

ianjupp":35h0zdz7 said:
Chems - The SIP extractor I am considering is the 'SIP 01954 3hp Single Column' which, according to the SIP site, can be used with 1 x 150mm or 2 x 100m - is that wrong?

I'm like 90% sure its a mis-print. I bought some 150mm hose for mine only to realize it was 125mm once you take the Y connector of. Why not measure yours to check?

I'm now 99% sure as I've just looked a picture on my phone I took and I've had to fit a 150mm to 125mm reducer to the hose.

Chems - glad you pointed that out. Will double check with them tomorrow in case it has changed but it doesn't look 150mm in the photo so I doubt it (I've not bought it yet). Looks like I might need to start searching again if I do decide to stick to the original plan of something bigger than 125mm (undecided).

John - thanks for the very kind offer. That would be really useful and I might take you up on that if I still feel unable to commit to something after a bit more research.

I've currently got a Felder extracter and as soon as the going gets tough it blocks up very easily . ( will be changing it asap) I find it cant cope with softwood chippings . Saying that for hobby ,light weight duty it will cope . Brilliant bag change system though . Port sizes are odd ...it means that Felder expect you to come to them for parts and in return 'we' get stung . Try dustspares.co.uk . Very very good , quality products too !

Pro shop,dont worry about Guggs,he has never got anything good to say about anything to do with Felder.

Back