Dust Extraction Filter Cartridge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonStevensCanes

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need to replace the canvas bag filter on my dust extractor. Axminster sell this for my AC82E, but the lead time could be a couple of months and my lungs can't wait that long (I sound like somebody pumping up an airbed).

Can anybody advise on alternative vendors/cartridges? I understand that I can retrofit a cartridge that doesn't fit correctly, but I feel like I don't know enough about air flow requirements to be able to make a choice, and all cartridges that I find on line seem to have a much smaller ID than the 340mm that Axminster mention.

Depends how you want to approach the problem.

Most cost effective way I see is you can on with the cloth bag and wear a good right fitting dust mask with filters rated for fine dust.

At the same time, there are some small (maybe 9" dia HEPA filters available on eBay. Get a couple of these, make a box and stick them on two of the sides (more if you fancy) and make the bottom fit the extractor. This is a little bit of work but as long as you caulk the seams and seal it well, it should see you through nicely for a few months.

Couple this with the dust mask and good ventilation (I know it's winter!) You should fill up your airbed with no wheezing!

It is worth knowing that a filter cartridge atop an ordinary dust collector tends to wear out prematurely. The folds in the cartridge is worn down by coarser particles being blown around inside it. It all depend on how much your dust collector will run per month. If you use it a lot you will either go through filters at an alarming rate or use worn filters that let out the fine dust into the air you breathe through the worn spots. If you use the dust collector less a cartridge filter will probably last long enough but you must be aware of the wear issue.

Any cartridge filter with the correct diametre and intended to fit on top of a dust collector will work. There are many brands available. You don't need one with cleaning brushes if you have an air compressor with which you can clean out the filter. Though some of the cheapest seem to use substandard filter material that doesn't quite keep the fine dust inside.

To reduce the amount of fine dust one also needs to move enough air. The standard 100mm dust portsjust doesn't in most cases have room for enough air movement to suck in the cloud of fine dust that is created by a cutting blade. Manufacturers are in many cases stuck in the past just not bothering to put larger dust ports on their machines even when research during the last 10 years have proven it to be an improvement.
I am little by little upscaling the dustports to either 120 or 160 mm on most of my rather large machines. To get enough suction without wearing out the filters I have built a cyklone to Bill Pentz drawings. It has a 4kW 3 phase motor and 390mm impeller so it is rather large and moves a lot of air. Thanks to it I am able to continue working wood as a part time job without ill effects.

Dust Spares do some cheap bags which might see you through for a while, might be worth giving them a call because they also do some filter cartridges.

https://www.dustspares.co.uk/filters/wwffb/woodwork-floppy-filter-bag.html

I bought a replacement bag for my ancient Axminster extractor, from Dustspares. Very helpful on the phone - you can choose different weights of bag to collect different types of dust (e.g. MDF vs. "normal"). I also specced a bag twice the length of the old one, so there's roughly double the surface area.

Thanks for the info guys.

It is worth knowing that a filter cartridge atop an ordinary dust collector tends to wear out prematurely. The folds in the cartridge is worn down by coarser particles being blown around inside it. It all depend on how much your dust collector will run per month. If you use it a lot you will either go through filters at an alarming rate or use worn filters that let out the fine dust into the air you breathe through the worn spots. If you use the dust collector less a cartridge filter will probably last long enough but you must be aware of the wear issue.

That's good information, I hadn't considered the wear and tear. I only currently have a thicknesser, tables and router table hooked up and use them 2-3 days a week (weekends), and they don't see a lot of use on those days, so I'd say I'm definitely at the lower end of usage. I'm happy to give it a blast and see what happens though.

I also have a Axminster Craft AC15AFS Air Filter on the way, so in terms of 100mm not catching everything, I'm happy with it doing the best it can and then the generic air filter dealing with anything that the dust extractor doesn't catch.

Dust Spares do some cheap bags which might see you through for a while, might be worth giving them a call because they also do some filter cartridges.

Thanks, I've contacted Dust Spares to see what they might be able to help with. If anybody has any others that they recommend then that would be great.

Latest posts

Back