Dust Extraction / Dust masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this has been asked lots of times before and I have read through as many posts as I can find in the search but I don't quite fit the typical profile of those asking as I'm female and of slim build so have quite a small face.

There seems to be so many products out there that the choice is very confusing.

I'm looking for the best options for both dust extration and a dust mask.

Starting with the dusk mask:
Currently I've been using a Venitex FFP2 valved disposable dust mask which seems ok but I'm having problems with getting a good seal - one side near the nose always seems to have a gap and the mask also makes my safety glasses steam up which isn't great for safety!

I've read about a few options - Air race, 3M 6000 / 7500, and other similar products and the powered options such as the Powercap and Airshield Pro.

As to the powered respirators, the cost is high so would you go for spending a bit more on a good dust extrator and buy a non-powered dust mask as back up protection?
I can't really afford both and I don't think my current usage would justify it.
We're looking at a couple of hours in the evening and a few hours at the weekend currently. If things work out then this may change in the future but I could upgrade a face mask if necessary.

I kind of feel it woud be better to try and eliminate as much of the dust as possible at source rather than rely solely on a mask but I realise that both would be better than 1.

In terms of dust masks I'm wondering which might be best suited to a woman of smallish build? I'm 5ft 4" and I have a small head. I don't wear glasses and obviusly don't have the beard problem ;)

For dust extraction options - I am currently using:
a Multico 14" bandsaw which has a dust extraction port at the bottom wheel (though I wonder if this would be much use - wouldn't it be better to suck dust away under the table more at source?)

Seig Micro mill which does create quite fine dust

Small Proxxon table saw which has a port for a standard hoover

Small disk sander.

I may get a router if sales justify the purchase.

A little bit of wood turning on a Seig C0 baby lathe

Apart from the wood turning with various pen blanks I'm mostly cutting Jelutong which I don't think is toxic but for what I'm doing does produce quite a fine dust.

It is more dust extraction that is the issue rather than chips.

A friend recently got the entry level trade Axminster dust extractor (I think it's about £120) for his miniature wood turning and I was wondering if this is a bit basic for my needs or if something like that, or the step up would be suitable.
He reckons it removes 100% of the dust but he's just using a Unimat classic so it's no bigger than an A4 sheet of paper!

I'm also using smallish tools for my miniature work rather than standard power tools but for the bandsaw especially it may need a bit more grunt.

I also don't want a situation where I extract the dust and the lack of filtration ends up putting even finer dust into the atmosphere.

With xmas coming up I could look to get something for then.

Sorry if the post is a bit long winded!

Thanks for any advice,

Jennifer,

Jen, here's my slant on this issue, but other's will come along with different views which are equally valid.
For dust masks I just use the Axminster P2 disposables which work fine for me as I can't be faffed with those other sorts of Vitrex masks. I also have the Ax ambient air cleaner that you mention...also another very good piece of kit. My main extraction unit is a Camvac 386 which may be a bit OTT for your needs, however the salient thing with this range is that they have a triple stage filtration system (sounds like an add for Carlsberg) so that virtually nothing is released back into the 'shop. On top of that, I have a strict regime where the 'shop gets cleaned and hoovered once a week and for that I've got an Ax WV1000 vac (no longer made) but there are plenty of alternatives on the market - Rob

Hi Jen,

I have an Airace, which are quite light I can wear it for hours, backed-up with source collection with an RP RDSE1, and on the wall i have a Vent Axia 6 inch extrator dumping outside.

I mainly turn, and do some ldle dremil type carving, piercing, and also bandsaw. I have the RDSE split with blastgates, one tube to the lathe for sanding, and the other on the Bandsaw outlet.

Chas ( CHJ ) has a great article here

http://quest42.co.uk/woodwork/html/dust.html

Thanks to you both. That article by Chas was a good read. Thanks for the link.

I had a look at the record power extractors and they seem reasonably priced for the level of filtration. Looking at the lower end vacuum extractors is there much in it between brands? RP/ Axminster / Camvac or are some better than others?
I think about the £200 Mark would be the limit.

Hi Jen,

Have a look at the Fox F50-842 2hp Dust Extractor. It's right on your money and someone here said it is the same machine as the Axi ADE2200. I was in a hardware store a few months ago and a man who has a joinery business came in and bought three of them because he was so impressed with the one he bought the day before.

Brendan.

BMac":3m6jrawd said:
Hi Jen,

Have a look at the Fox F50-842 2hp Dust Extractor. It's right on your money and someone here said it is the same machine as the Axi ADE2200. I was in a hardware store a few months ago and a man who has a joinery business came in and bought three of them because he was so impressed with the one he bought the day before.

Brendan.

Thanks Brendan. Isn't 35 microns filtering quite large or am I misunderstanding? Other's I've seen are 1 or 0.5 microns at Axminster??

Jensmith":na3ppa2x said:
BMac":na3ppa2x said:
Hi Jen,

Brendan.

Thanks Brendan. Isn't 35 microns filtering quite large or am I misunderstanding? Other's I've seen are 1 or 0.5 microns at Axminster??
A standard chip collector will push all the small stuff back into the 'shop but the triple filtration system on the Camvac's effectively contains it in the green drum - Rob

Woodbloke - I've had a look at the Camvac products and it looks good but there are so many options..
Single/twin motor, 2.5" / 4" hoses etc

For my needs what would you recommend? I think I would prefer it floor standing rather than wall mounted.

Thanks,

Jensmith":3ejbfrhi said:
Woodbloke - I've had a look at the Camvac products and it looks good but there are so many options..
Single/twin motor, 2.5" / 4" hoses etc

For my needs what would you recommend? I think I would prefer it floor standing rather than wall mounted.

Thanks,
I think that as you do fairly small stuff, a single motor 2.5" hose would probably do the job, twin motors give a lot more 'suck' There's a complete range available to suit all situations and pockets. If it's of any help, an email to the company in Norfolk is always useful (I found them very helpful) and in addition if you can see a Camvac working at a show and talk to the rep that also concentrates the mind a bit. Yandles is also the cheapest place to buy from - Rob

Theres been a couple of extrator sold on here last few weeks, I'd hold for a while on that and see if you can get cheap, but go and buy an airace now

As someone who works with a lot of very fine powders for a day job, I'd personally recommend a positive feed helmet in preference to extraction if you have to choose.

Extraction is always going to miss some dust, and it may well simply throw the fine stuff around your workshop in a more effective manner, whereas a decent positive pressure filtered air helmet is going to do a much better job of making sure that the air you actually breathe is as dust free as possible.

It also negates the issue of waiting for dust to settle, as a decent air helmet will not really interfere with your work and provides protection all the time you have it on, as opposed to an extractor

PeterSk":20e11srn said:
It also negates the issue of waiting for dust to settle, as a decent air helmet will not really interfere with your work and provides protection all the time you have it on, as opposed to an extractor

true - but a point newbies have to be aware of is that there is still dust in the air after they have finished sanding (or whatever), so finishing work and imdiately whipping the air helmet off isnt a good idea.

I have a belt and braces set up with a trend airsheid (or a power cap - I have both as i bought the power cap first, found it uncomfotable so bought an airsheild as well), a record 4000xi for chip extraction and a Jet air filter.

Personally I find that dust masks get taken off much faster, as they're not comfortable to wear, whereas a decent air helmet should be much more natural to wear.

I wonder if the OP should also consider looking into a downdraft table, they provide a huge benefit if you're working on smaller pieces

I'm definitely in the catch it at source camp but... Vent the outlet of your vacuum outside so the sub 0.5 micron particles (or whatever level your chosen vac extracts to) are removed rather than thrust back into the workshop.

I've gone completely OFF the idea of a air cleaner. According to their own specs they do not remove dust to a small enough particle size so, once again, blow harmful dust around the workshop. The only caveat I would add is that they may be useful when it comes to finishing but only to reduce the level of dust that may affect the finish rather than protection of health.

But then you still need a mask... They too don't filter down to a low enough level to be 100% effective but if capturing at source has reduced overall volumes then the mask is a good backup.

With regard to specific makes... I've been using one of these (JSP) for a while:
jetstream_blackhood_main(0).jpg

It's comfortable because it's soft but offers no impact protection. And I've no idea how effective it is because I have no means of testing. But the spec says it's as good as the rest.

Jen,

I apologise. I forgot about the coarse filter bag because I'm going to put the extractor outside in a small shed so blowing fine dust around my work area won't be an issue for me. When I saw your target budget and it matched mine I jumped in too soon.

Brendan.

BMac":mjs3dp9u said:
Jen,

I apologise. I forgot about the coarse filter bag because I'm going to put the extractor outside in a small shed so blowing fine dust around my work area won't be an issue for me. When I saw your target budget and it matched mine I jumped in too soon.

Brendan.

Don't worry about it :)

Back