Dust Extraction Ducting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD

Established Member
Reaction score
I am new to workshop dust extraction:- the extractor will be housed externally and i need to pipe 100mm to a point where i can connect to pl/th or a b/s both 100mm also a 50mm to a rad/arm or a shop vac.
Could i have your sudjestions on duct types adapters reducers pipes etc and were you get them, any rules you should follow also any useful links that i should look at.

Axminster carry a good range of fittings for dust extraction systems.If you don't have their catalogue they will send you one if you ask.
There have been other threads on this forum about dust extraction, try search.

Hi OLD
I used pvc 100mm drain pipe in my workshop. It is relatively cheap and easy to install plus the fittings don't cost an arm and a leg either, and there is a huge variety of them!
I discovered, as you will see from a previous thread, that it is possible to use a rubber reducer to attach alloy blast gates to the pvc pipe without great expense as well. Normally, you would have to pay around £30 for a plastic blast gate that fits directly to the pvc pipe. A nasty plastic affair that is inferior to the alloy ones that only cost a tenner.
Go and have a look in your nearest plumbers merchant. I did just that, told them what I wanted to do and they could not have been more helpfull.
We practically designed the entire system over the counter!
You will hear a lot about grounding the pvc. I read everything I could find on this subject and there are conflicting views but the most sensible article I found proved that it is actually impossible to ground plastic because it is not a conducter. Also, as I was a firefighter for thirty years and a fire safety officer for many of them I can tell you that the chances of a dust explosion in a small, essentially domestic extraction system are next to nil. Even if it did happen you would probably not even notice!
Cheers.

SF

Hi Old,

Have a look at this thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1405 where I posted pictures (I like pictures :D ) of the start of my plumbing for the dust collection. I need to make some more blast gates to allow the rest of my machines to be connected in.
And in this onehttps://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2352 where I have got a cyclone up and almost running. I still have a leak or two to fix before its finished.

If you have any questions about what I have done, just ask. :)

Hello Old,

I researched the options and costs of building a dust extraction network earlier this year, and concluded that the most cost effective solution for me was to use the metal spiral ducting used by heating and air conditioning suppliers. The duct is easy to cut and join and is lighter than soil pipe which makes installation easier. (I also wanted a larger diameter than stamdard soil pipe.) Using metal also facilitates earthing and minimises any potential fire/explosion risks (should they exist) as well of the risks of static electric shock.

You can buy the 100mm size from Axminster, but it is a lot cheaper to go to a HVAC suppler. I purchased from CCL Veloduct who offered me 20% discount off their list price which was a lot less than the Axminster price. (I paid £3 per metre for 125mm duct whilst Axminster charge £6 per metre for the 100mm size) http://www.c-c-l.co.uk/index2.htm . There are however lots of other suppliers around and possibly better discounts.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

David

Yes, I'd go for the metal ducting. Although I use 4" I've no compaints and an HVAC outlet is usually way cheaper.
On an associated note I've been playing about with alternative materials for blastgates. Here's one with a perpex gate
IMG_0001PXBlast.jpg

Slides nice and easy compared to ply or MDF.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks for all of the above i have a much better understanding of the subject now and have started designing and costing the small system that i will require to fit the site.

Back