Dust extraction - debris sitting in tubes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
I have improved my dust extraction setup after talking to Chems and have one of his cyclones and more 4" tubing.

I now have two equal lengths of 4" flexible tube on a 'Y' connector which is then connected to the cyclone by a short bit of 4" tube.

I have a short 6" bit of 2.5" tube with a reducer off a length of 4" tube to connect to the bandsaw and the other length of 4" tube is a breather port / sucks dust off the table.

I have noticed that suck has vastly improved with more 4" tube but I am finding that quite a lot of dust and chippings are just sitting in the lowest section of the pipe. To connect to my bandsaw under the table it does mean that the tube hangs down onto the floor.

I was wondering how I stop the dust and small chippings getting stuck in the tube? As soon as I lift up the tube and give it a shake it all gets sucked away.

Is it because the tube hangs down quite low or is it to do with airflow?

Thanks,

Jennifer,

It's both of those things and hose being not straight wrecks the flow. Try narrower hose to boost the flow rate or straighten it out

Aidan

If you have a bend in your tubing the airflow will cut the corner leaving an eddy of air at the outside of the bend. Try and make the curve more gentle to avoid this.

Back