Dust extraction - bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mike, do you have to remove pipe to change blade?

Hi Sachakins,

Yes, but the pipe is easy to remove and install. The pipe is attached to the plywood, and the plywood is attached to the saw with two rare earth magnets.

BS350S-Dust-Extraction-5-S.jpg

Hi Sachakins,

Yes, but the pipe is easy to remove and install. The pipe is attached to the plywood, and the plywood is attached to the saw with two rare earth magnets.

BS350S-Dust-Extraction-5-S.jpg
Neat solution, thanks for the info👍👍

I have an Inca Euro 260 which only has an upper extraction port.
This works well with a 27/32mm end on my shop vac (WAP Aero) or my Camvac which has the older 63mm diameter pipe. Either is connected using adapters I 3D printed although the 63mm pipe is virtually the same size as the outlet on the saw.
Every couple of weeks I hoover the sawdust out of the case although there isn’t usually that much.
Both my vacs are acceptedly quiet, especially the Camvac which I have fitted an exhaust silencer to.

One less obvious use of a biggish HVLP like my Axminster ADE 2200 is that you can leave it on unconnected and it will clear dusty air in a room quite quickly. Trail the pipe (4") to somewhere near the middle and just leave it there.
It's not a HEPA filter but as it gets used it filters finer and finer, until you next give the bags a wash.

This is the new Yorkleen.
Mine is the older green model, that I picked up off fleabay for £50 about 18 months back, plus I got a spare drum too, very lucky looking at new price now.

Also worth reading this other thread titled

CamVac 386-5 or Axminster AW118CE​

Sorry don't know how to link to it directly.

View attachment 137320

I've been using the axminster equivalent of the one above pictured and it has performed well to sook up all the dust. I think its a 68mm hose.
That is a 10" RP saw, and the outlet is 68mm.
I have put foam sticky draught excluder stuff around the doors which reduced the intake of air slightly, though not enough to restrict it, and theres plenty of areas (lower guide area etc) that has openings for air to get in to aid extraction.

One less obvious use of a biggish HVLP like my Axminster ADE 2200 is that you can leave it on unconnected and it will clear dusty air in a room quite quickly. Trail the pipe (4") to somewhere near the middle and just leave it there.
It's not a HEPA filter but as it gets used it filters finer and finer, until you next give the bags a wash.
That’s a good idea.

I’m leaning towards giving a hvlp unit a try, with a similar set up to what Mike has shared.

You may want to clarify if you are actually looking to reduce airborne dust (the kind that kills your lungs) or just want to clear out chips and plan to protect your lungs with something else.

AW37E is a chip extractor
Filter Performance100% >30 micron

If you want a dust extractor then you need to look for those that can capture particles 1 micron and below.
Have look at this: Dust Extractor | Dust Extraction For Your Workshop | Buying Guide
or this:

Thanks - it’s mainly the mess that I’m thinking about and keeping the insides of the machine clean.

I use a mask when the machine is in operation, and I don’t use it for long periods of time so I think this should be adequate to protect my lungs. It’s the only woodworking power tool I have (before this was just hand tools) so I’ve never felt like dust was a huge problem (though I accept it’s probably still airborne even with hand planing etc)

Thanks - it’s mainly the mess that I’m thinking about and keeping the insides of the machine clean.

I use a mask when the machine is in operation, and I don’t use it for long periods of time so I think this should be adequate to protect my lungs. It’s the only woodworking power tool I have (before this was just hand tools) so I’ve never felt like dust was a huge problem (though I accept it’s probably still airborne even with hand planing etc)
Dust is also airborne for hours after creating it, so removing mask when you shut off machine is not a wise move.
@fleyh above makes a very good point and good idea.

..... It’s the only woodworking power tool I have (before this was just hand tools) so I’ve never felt like dust was a huge problem (though I accept it’s probably still airborne even with hand planing etc)
Sounds like you don't need a dust extractor at all.

Being controversial as ever Jacob :LOL: Everybody needs some sort of extraction, and even with hand tools an air cleaner would be a good edition.
I didn't need one until I got a combi.
PT and saw throw dust in the air but a bandsaw doesn't - it all goes down below, on a 352 at least.

No worse dust chucker than a mitre saw. Although the festool is supposedly very efficient in that department.

Which combi do you have ?
Back then it was the notorious AEG Maxi 26 which I thought was brilliant. Later got a Minimax LAB 300 de luxe! Which really is brilliant!

Air filters seem to be yet another cost…wonder whether anyone has had much luck setting up a home made one? Similar to this?

Minimax LAB 300 de luxe
Thats very nice, though costing a pretty penny.
Nearly as expensive as my *Ebike.

* I've never understood how a bike can cost as much as a huge cast iron machine, weighs 10x as much and will likely last 10x as long.
Air filters seem to be yet another cost…wonder whether anyone has had much luck setting up a home made one? Similar to this?
I had an idea for using a bank(about 4 or 5) of computer fans mounted on a frame that you place at a slightly open window to draw air out the window, and i would think taking any airborne dust with it. As they're low voltage/wattage, you could wire all together and run through a low power adaptor.
Air would be drawn into the workshop through the door etc and pushed out the window. Its not filtered, but would go some ways to removing dust laden air that would otherwise hang in the room.

Last edited:

* I've never understood how a bike can cost as much as a huge cast iron machine, weighs 10x as much and will likely last 10x as long.

I had an idea for using a bank(about 4 or 5) of computer fans mounted on a frame that you place at a slightly open window to draw air out the window, and i would think taking any airborne dust with it. As they're low voltage/wattage, you could wire all together and run through a low power adaptor.
Air would be drawn into the workshop through the door etc and pushed out the window. Its not filtered, but would go some ways to removing dust laden air that would otherwise hang in the room.
I'd thought about using one of these for a filter?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20281475...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
With a 6" bathroom fan....

Yebbut you try riding a 2cwt bike!

Latest posts

Back