Dust extraction and track-saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something else to consider when taping up that bolt hole is that you just covered up a way for air to get into the machine. If air can't get it it can't get out which means it can't carry any dust with it.

I agree that might be the case on some saws depending on other gaps around them. In my case on the parkside I did test cuts with and without the opening covered. With the opening uncovered (and vacuum on) I could clearly see more dust being produced and some even escaping from that hole, covering it over made a massive improvement in my opinion.

Is the problem the hose diameter, i use an old samsung hoover with a 6m hose with my festool track saw and get great dust extraction. The hose is 32mm diameter so whilst you don't get the same volume of air being sucked through the saw vs a larger diameter hose, it is at higher velocity so may catch more dust.

Quick google shows the henry comes with a 32mm hose so may be worth trying the original hose and see if that makes a difference.

Ooops - the hose is actually the same diameter as the Henry's original pipe - my guess was wrong - the duct work for the dust extraction is 40mm waste pipe with home-made blast gates using cut down waste fitings glued in and bespoke 3d printed couplings and adapters.

I agree that might be the case on some saws depending on other gaps around them. In my case on the parkside I did test cuts with and without the opening covered. With the opening uncovered (and vacuum on) I could clearly see more dust being produced and some even escaping from that hole, covering it over made a massive improvement in my opinion.

Ditto for being better covered - but I wouldn't call it a massive improvement!

It's the £100 Mac Allister from Screwfix

Interesting, the Mac looks similar to the Festool, Rutlands, Parkside, Makita etc style and I was under the impression they did better for dust extraction than the ones which copy the Scheppach style.

I have the same saw. dust collection is acceptable but certainly not outstanding. mine is run straight from the vacuum and it collects 80-90% of the dust. not good enough for to use in the lounge but acceptable for the workshop, the stuff that gets left is larger than dust really.

as to the saw, it's fantastic. :)

I have the same saw. dust collection is acceptable but certainly not outstanding. mine is run straight from the vacuum and it collects 80-90% of the dust. not good enough for to use in the lounge but acceptable for the workshop, the stuff that gets left is larger than dust really.

as to the saw, it's fantastic. :)

Agreed that the saw is excellent for the money - the way my dust extraction works I could connect the Henry direct to the saw so may give that a go if I'm making more than 2 or 3 cuts.

I do also have the luxury (?) of a Record air filter machine fixed to the ceiling and that helps keep the atmosphere a bit less dusty . .. I normally leave it on the time for a couple of hours after finishing whatever I'm doing in the workshop.

I have a Parkside track saw too. Very pleased with the way it cuts (way better than the nasty Erbauer had and returned). I use it with 2hp dust extractor and 68mm hose but dust does squirt out of the front and along the bottom skirt. I have found a solution of sorts by fixing a second 68mm pipe to some guttering down pipe and laying it alongside the cut. About half of the pipe is cut away (except where the hose fits). It has enough suction to pull in all the overspill dust. The next step is to see if I can make something to fit on the side of the saw, boxing in the offending areas to achieve the same result.

Back