Dust Extraction and Earthing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read many articles on static in PVC pipes and the need to run copper wires but one article from Australia and another from the USA did the physics calc's and showed that the static buildup in the pipes was not sufficient to cause a fire in the pipes. The majority of fires were caused by metal from the saw hitting a nail etc and the impellor aiding and abetting the heating process.
I ,like Dave L, collect the dust in a metal bin and not in a plastic bag and also use 110mm waste pipe as it has the an advantage over Spirolux i- its easy to reconfigure using the push joint waste pipe

Hi all

Thank you for all of the information, it is excellent.

John

I certainly like the look of the Spirolux. Can you tell me where you bought it from? EDIT I've just seen that they have a branch in Nottingham. :oops:

Woody

Thanks for the offer but I already have all of the fittings from Camvac.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers
Neil

Neil you probably know this already but when you buy your junctions etc do not use T joints as then impede the flow. Y junctions are a lot better.

By the way what extractor are you using.

Good Luck with your install.

Regards

Woody

Woodythepecker":2l4as65o said:
Neil you probably know this already but when you buy your junctions etc do not use T joints as then impede the flow. Y junctions are a lot better.

I've already got the Camvac fittings and I'm hoping that, when I look in the box again, I bought the Y junctions.

By the way what extractor are you using.

I've wall mounted the Camvac GW286.

Good Luck with your install.

Thanks.

Cheers
Neil

I think plastic is the way to go for your set up. Spiral ducting is fine for the air movement extractor types as you are not dealing with the same degree of vacuum, and so the joints which are normally screwed together and taped with foil, are less critical. Soil pipe is easier to install with a better vacuum seal which is what you need as any leaks will rob your system performance.
As to the earthing, IMO I don't think it will be an issue inside the pipe as there will probably not be enough air movement through the pipe and you will not have any impellor actually in the air flow so the chance of sparks from the machine is not applicable. You can run some copper adhesive tape down the outside of the pipes and connect fly leads to the extractor and machines which will help reduce the any static you may have contracted from the outside of the pipes etc.
You should try you system out to see if it clears all the dust out of the pipes. If it is leaving dust behind this will could lead to a blockage over time. If I was using your set up the 2 1/2" ducting kits would be my choice for most of the equipment and a separate run of 4" for the P/T.

No facts just some ideas!

Philip

PJ":1i22qjm1 said:
I think plastic is the way to go for your set up. Spiral ducting is fine for the air movement extractor types as you are not dealing with the same degree of vacuum, and so the joints which are normally screwed together and taped with foil, are less critical. Soil pipe is easier to install

Philip
Sorry to disagree Phil, Spiral ducting needs no screwing, or foil. Sorry :) :)

FelderMan":3v7t9p32 said:
PJ":3v7t9p32 said:
Sorry to disagree Phil, Spiral ducting needs no screwing, or foil. And IMHO soil pipe is a lot harder to install. Sorry :) :)
Sorry I disagree - soil pipe is a doddle with push fit it is easy to change your ducting system and add extra equipment

Hi John

Thanks for the information about Spirolux. I purchased the Spirolux this afternoon and I must say that I am very impressed.

Luckily the Camvac fittings, which are plastic, are a really good fit inside the Spirolux. :D

Thanks again,
Neil

Newbie_Neil":2s28zmhc said:
Hi John

Thanks for the information about Spirolux. I purchased the Spirolux this afternoon and I must say that I am very impressed.

Luckily the Camvac fittings, which are plastic, are a really good fit inside the Spirolux. :D

Thanks again,
Neil
Neil, Glad to be of help . The fittings from Axminster (the ones I used)I suspect are the same make as they too are an excellent fit on the Spirolux.

I'm well pleased with mine, it's so light yet strong and a doddle to fit.

:D :)

Back