Dust Extraction AGAIN (Sorry Guys!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To quote Will I am (did you watch voice kids? un bluddy believable),
I'm on fyah

cyclone small.jpg

you can see the fine dust in the box under the 3/4 size traffic cone. 100 mm out the cabinet into the elbow, necked down to 63 mm immediately.

Attachments

• cyclone small.jpg
    cyclone small.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 362
Not just on fyah. You iz the absolute shiz.

Am particularly lovin the fact the road cone is completely identifiable as such. (Bought, given or, dare I say it, STOLEN from the side of the road?)

No no, I obtained the cone completely legally. I got it from the man who actually saw it fall off the back of a lorry that did not have a legible number plate, and the cone has no identifying markings, and he told me that the local bobby did not want to be bothered with the lost and found paperwork.

uckfayofffay was, I believe, the technical term used by the constabulary.

hi
first post, but been a lurker a long time, i'm in the process of sorting my woodbutchery man cave for dust extraction & was wondering if there's any reason why i shouldn't set it up like an electrical ring main or air line circuit, i.e. a full loop around the walls in say 100mm with a few takeoffs in 100mm to suit thicknesser, table saw & jointer etc, then a few for with 63mm type takeoffs all strategically placed for other fixed items & a couple of points where i may need to use router etc. in the middle of the floor hanging down to tag in where required all using blastgates.
one takeoff at 100mm for the extractor via a cyclone.
i'm employing the thought that the extractor will draw from both sides of the ring to lessen pressure drop at the end of a "spur" if anything else is also in use

please be gentle with the replies, i'm a car mechanic by trade but i do like to whittle the odd tentpeg :D

Steve

Nah, wont work.
All you've done is reduce the air flow in any one part by 50 per cent. At the furthest away point you will have pull from both sides cancelling each other out.
And every joint and connection also reduces the flow.

Work your ducting to have the minumum of joints and the absolute minimum of tubing.

Try to keep the blast gates as close as possible to the main pipe, other wise you will get "dead legs" where the air is just swirling rather than pulling.

sunnybob":38mw6hdc said:
Nah, wont work.
All you've done is reduce the air flow in any one part by 50 per cent. At the furthest away point you will have pull from both sides cancelling each other out.
And every joint and connection also reduces the flow.

Work your ducting to have the minumum of joints and the absolute minimum of tubing.

Try to keep the blast gates as close as possible to the main pipe, other wise you will get "dead legs" where the air is just swirling rather than pulling.

thanks for that sunnybob, hadn't thought about where to locate the blastgates, but that make sense

Steve

Just to clarify my last...
I'm assuming your work space is fairly small, single garage sized, or near.
I f you have a big workshop, then having to walk across the floor to change a blast gate everytime you want to use a different machine can become a real pain, so then you might want to put them as close as possible to each machine.
Machine layout is very important to help you keep pipe run to a minimum. If you use both sides of a small space them consider the pipe to run overhead along the centre, or even diagonal, to keep the run to each machine at a minimum.
I only have a 5 x 3 metre workshop, so I have 5 outlets on mine, but they are all along one wall, so my pipe run is barely 4 metres, with the blast gates all in one place as a kind of "command centre" thats only three steps from any machine.

https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-dust-chip-collector.html

Ignore the write up, its nonsense. This machine pulls every iota of dust and chippings I produce, even small pieces of wood and the occasional pencil. From a bench top thicknesser to vacuuming the floor at the end of the day.
From the 100mm inlet, it goes straight into a 62 mm cyclone and then along 62 mm tubing.

The bags are a pain. Since adding the cyclone I have done away with the bags altogether. I just accept that I have to get in there and brush the air filter out more often. I can get inside the noise reducing cabinet, pull the can out, brush the filter, and put it all back within 10 minutes. No big deal.

sunnybob":2k0elor9 said:
Just to clarify my last...
I'm assuming your work space is fairly small, single garage sized, or near.
I f you have a big workshop, then having to walk across the floor to change a blast gate everytime you want to use a different machine can become a real pain, so then you might want to put them as close as possible to each machine.
Machine layout is very important to help you keep pipe run to a minimum. If you use both sides of a small space them consider the pipe to run overhead along the centre, or even diagonal, to keep the run to each machine at a minimum.
I only have a 5 x 3 metre workshop, so I have 5 outlets on mine, but they are all along one wall, so my pipe run is barely 4 metres, with the blast gates all in one place as a kind of "command centre" thats only three steps from any machine.

my workshop is approx 3m wide x 9m long, i need to think long & hard about equipment layout.
my next organisational step is a mitre saw station along the lines of the Jay Bates one for sheer tool & consumables storage as my workshop is a pigsty at the minute due to having too many jobs on the go at any time!

thanks for the advice

Steve

Back