Dust extraction advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot1980

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there is a huge amount of information on the forum regarding dust extraction but I think there is so much I am going round in circles and not coming up with a solution so wonder if you could advise on my own situation.

I work in my garage which is approximately 16m2. I have a Titan table saw with 60mm connection on the back and 32mm on the crown guard. I also have a router, circular saw and orbital sander which are all around 32mm. I have been using my Henry on all of these which seems to work fine for the sander but not so great with anything else. When using the table saw most of the sawdust ends up on the floor.

I do wear a mask when using the equipment but I think there is a lot of dust floating around in the air afterwards which I am concerned about. I was doing some work out there yesterday and have a bit of a cough today which I think is from the dust so I would like to find a better way of keeping the air clean.

I am happy to move a dust extractor around the garage to wherever I need it and won't be installing pipework and blast gates etc. so would just like to know what direction I should be heading for cost effective ways of reducing the dust.

Would the Henry be sufficient if I set-up a cyclone with a separate bucket or should I look at replacing / adding to the Henry with something like the Record DX1000? Is the Record much different from the Henry?

Also, would it be beneficial to get an air scrubber as well to put on to clear the air after I have stopped working?

My initial thoughts were that I get the DX1000 to use on all of the machines although I won't be needing the 100mm connection as have nothing that size so will reduce down and then an air scrubber as well. I may be heading completely in the wrong direction so any assistance would be appreciated.

I've certainly found the Record Power AC400 2 Stage Air Filter with Remote 3 Speeds and Time Delay fixed to the ceiling in my workshop catches a lot of the dust in the air - just looking a few moments ago Amazon has them for about £165 - other prices are in the £225 mark .... I bought mine from Yandles a couple of years ago. The slight issue is that the remote control's beam has to be pretty much in line with the receiver panel to work.

For machines both fixed and moveable I have a home-brewed duct system made with 40mm waste pipe, home made blast gatesall connected to a Henry on a remote control power socket.

The titan saw dosent have a base board, therefore a base with slope and pick up would help.

A cyclone would stop the larger dust clogging the filter.

Putting the dust extractor outside would help too.

Cheers James

The titan saw dosent have a base board, therefore a base with slope and pick up would help.

A cyclone would stop the larger dust clogging the filter.

Putting the dust extractor outside would help too.

Cheers James

Thanks James. I hadn't even thought / seen anything regarding the base and I assume this is why there is a lot of saw dust on the floor? If I screw the saw on to a plywood base would that help? Could you also confirm what the pick up is / does?

Last edited:
I've certainly found the Record Power AC400 2 Stage Air Filter with Remote 3 Speeds and Time Delay fixed to the ceiling in my workshop catches a lot of the dust in the air

Agree, fitted one recently and although I have no objective/measured data it certainly makes the whole garage look and feel cleaner. I run it all the time I am in there, normally in speed 1 but if I am generating fine dust I turn it up.

I've certainly found the Record Power AC400 2 Stage Air Filter with Remote 3 Speeds and Time Delay fixed to the ceiling in my workshop catches a lot of the dust in the air - just looking a few moments ago Amazon has them for about £165 - other prices are in the £225 mark .... I bought mine from Yandles a couple of years ago. The slight issue is that the remote control's beam has to be pretty much in line with the receiver panel to work.

For machines both fixed and moveable I have a home-brewed duct system made with 40mm waste pipe, home made blast gatesall connected to a Henry on a remote control power socket.

Thanks Rob. Not too worried about the remote control beam as even if I put it up in the roof I will still be able to reach to get it to 'zap'. Looks like it might be something that could help though at a reasonable price.

Thanks Rob. Not too worried about the remote control beam as even if I put it up in the roof I will still be able to reach to get it to 'zap'. Looks like it might be something that could help though at a reasonable price.
Ditto with the switching - I usually just reach up and press the buttons!
I should have said my piped dust extraction runs through a cheap cyclone that's fitted on the top of a sealed wooden box to catch the sawdust/chippings (lid has draught excleuder to seal and toggle clips to close)
dust-extraction.JPG
DSC01200.JPG
(The grey shrouds are 3 of my pushbikes hanging on the wall!)

Ditto with the switching - I usually just reach up and press the buttons!
I should have said my piped dust extraction runs through a cheap cyclone that's fitted on the top of a sealed wooden box to catch the sawdust/chippings (lid has draught excleuder to seal and toggle clips to close)
View attachment 131183 View attachment 131184
(The grey shrouds are 3 of my pushbikes hanging on the wall!)
Rob garage is a model of organisational efficiency! Half the space I have and yet 2x the tool density and probably 2x the productivity!!!

Thanks James. I hadn't even thought / seen anything regarding the base and I assume this is why there is a lot of saw dust on the floor? If I screw the saw on to a plywood base would that help? Could you also confirm what the pick up is / does?
Without going out to look at mine it has a vac hookup for the saw blade guard below the table and the crown guard. However alot of the saw dust escapes these and falls as snow to the floor!

However a chute into a 3rd hose would make sense.

If it's airborne dust your worried about you need an air filter system like Robs or a dust extractor outside the workshop.

I happened to watched some interesting youtube video's last weekend and decided I should have a unit. It was a bit worrying that it took nearly an hour for the dust to settle without a dust filter.
My garage ceiling is very low and so a ceiling mounted unit wouldn't work. I don't think the neighbours would appreciate me extracting the dust over them either :rolleyes:
I ordered a TF810 filter unit and it arrives tomorrow. It looks very small but is rated for a double garage and my idea is to place it close to the point of dust creation. Most of the dust comes from the table saw when I remove the blade guard when ripping down larger pieces of timber.
I have also drawn up a hood to put onto my vacuum as a backup and just need to order some more printer filament to make it.

Thanks guys for the info / advice. Think I'll do something with the table saw like building a stand for it which I can then enclose with a dust port and this should help stop the dust dropping straight on the floor. Will then sort a Cyclone for the Henry and maybe go for the Record air scrubber which should then help to clear anything still floating around.

Have you considered a track saw, 95% less dust even with a cheap one, You would have to completely seal the base of a table saw and add a 2hp extractor to get half that and even then your still not dealing with all the stuff that goes upwards

I have a circular saw which I use to cut down full plywood sheets but I find the table saw really handy when needing repeated cuts and can use the cross cut sled. I know I can't stop dust all together but just trying to minimise. Not sure if a track saw would be ideal for what I need. Thanks though.

Have you considered a track saw, 95% less dust even with a cheap one, You would have to completely seal the base of a table saw and add a 2hp extractor to get half that and even then your still not dealing with all the stuff that goes upwards

I use a Henry for dust collection as well and copied a cyclone device from Youtube that works well. I used a blue 60 ltr barrel and some 2" waste pipe. I ended putting a "cross" of wood inside as the Henry could collapse the barrel in the case of a blockage,

I use a Henry for dust collection as well and copied a cyclone device from Youtube that works well. I used a blue 60 ltr barrel and some 2" waste pipe. I ended putting a "cross" of wood inside as the Henry could collapse the barrel in the case of a blockage,

Thanks, it appears a lot of people do use the Henry with good effect and the 60l barrel route was the one I was thinking of trying. I guess I might as well try it with the Henry I already have than go and spend on the Record DX1000. Not sure what more the Record would give. If anyone can advise if it would be a whole lot different that would be of help.

. . . I sold my (small) table saw in favour of the track saw with a dust hose (and the big old circular saw for big sheet material cutting on the floor)

. . . I sold my (small) table saw in favour of the track saw with a dust hose (and the big old circular saw for big sheet material cutting on the floor)

Is it not difficult to make smaller cuts with a track saw though? I don't have a band saw so make smaller cuts on the table saw.

I was surprised at the power of the Henry to collapse the plastic drum I used with the cyclone to start with - hence making a rigid wooden box to collect the dust with some left-over OSB.

Tip: If you use a Henry then buy another hose for it - the original hose on mine connects to the cyclone - I can then unscrew that from the Henry, screw on the spare one and use it for cleaning up in the workshop (although I do have a battery powered vac too)

Back