Dust Extraction advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryandotdee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!

First time poster, long time lurker :)

I have a small shed (12 x 8 feet) which I have been getting setup as a workshop over the last 6 months, But as I do more projects ( and buy more tools... :lol: ) It is becoming more and more apparant that my dust collection setup is not up to the job.

My current dust extraction is a vax pet, connected to a cylcone ( on a 25liter drum) which in turn has a 5 meter hose connected to it (32 mm i think ). The main issue is the suction is not great from the vax.

I am looking at getting the Axminster Craft AC37E due to its smaller size and having an induction motor.

So onto my question : Would it be feasible to simply swap out the vax with the AC37E by reducing the outlet down to the correct size for the cyclone? I am conscious that the extractor has a 100mm port for a reason, but I am not sure what the rel ramifications are for reducing it down by this much.

If anyone can shed some light on it or has done something similar in the past I would be incredibly grateful for any input.

Ryan

Yeah umm no basically. Without spending an hour doing the maths you've just cut you cross section down to a tenth - (100mm/16mm) which will utterly crucify your airflow.

You don't mention what you're extracting from but if its just portable tools buy a decent vacuum - nilfisk alto aero 26 as an example - which will match your pipe sizes from the cyclone. I have very nearly no dust in the shop despite spending aaaaallllll day sanding.

The sizes on all these things aren't arbitary its all matched to impeller performance etc etc.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling it was not the best idea. I have done a bit of reading since and am starting to see the difference between the larger diameter stuff and vaccums. I had a look at the vac you linked and it looks like a decent machine, would certainly be a step up from what I am using currently. I guess I got into the mindset of "I have woodworking tools, therefore must buy big dust extractor"

I have a variety of tools ranging from table saw, band saw, planer etc down to hand held power tools. I think you are right in that getting a decent vaccum would be a good idea, I just need to get my pineapple in gear a print some adaptors for all my tools.

Many thanks again for your input, It has given me a different perspective :)

There are a ton of posts on this subject. From an engineers point of view its a complicated issue but for a wood worker i'd say it boils down to two;
1) Small tools - usually fine dust - best solution is a good vacuum & a cyclone
2} Big tools - big chippings (planer) or those needing big airflow (bandsaw/tablesaw). Thats where you need a dust extractor.

I've just bought a wet &dry vacuum from lidl for £70,it has great suction but I couldn't understand how to get my circular saw and vacuum to work at the same time? I think I've cracked it :lol:

Latest posts

Back