dust extracter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyn2

Established Member
Reaction score
:D I am in the middle of redoing our kicthen :x and there is a new extractor hood going in and I was wondering if the old one would do as a dust extractor it is just a standard hood extractor with a 4" output :?

any idea's :?: :idea:

Martyn

Martyn,

I doubt that the cooker hood fan moves the volume of air required for a dust extractor, :( but it may well be enough for an air filter. :) Not that hard to make using spare filters bought from Axminster. 8)

Perhaps with some modification, but I think it would be a lot of effort for not a lot of extraction :? . Ours has a charcoal filled filter and then another foam layer after that.....it doesn't even extract steam very efficiently, so I doubt it would extract workshop dust!

Cheers,

Howard

Martin,
I would agree with Dave whether this is an idea for removing "ambient dust" or dust from a machine. If the latter -you will need vastly, vastly more, oceans more, "oomph". In the case of ambient dust, just vastly more!

To be effective, ambient dust filters need to shift a lot of air - the whole workshop volume basically, through decent filters, in a reasonable time period. A cooker hood only has to move smells away from the top of the cooker to somewhere else - usually the outside of the house. The different duties mean that the dust filter ends up being bigger, more expensive and a lot noisier than we would like :cry:

Of course there is nothing to stop you putting a little fan in a box and convincing yourself it is cleaning the air - which it will - just not enough air.

:D ho well it was worth a try :D i just hate throwing anything out :twisted: :twisted:

:p any one want a cooker hood sink taps worktops free to a good home :D

Martyn

Not sure about the extractor but the worktops would make a great glueing up shelf or bed for your machines if you have the room .

Back