Dust estractor or filter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner Les

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a single garage size workshop and mainly use just my lathe in there. I am fed up choking on dust when sanding so what's best, a air filter or dust extractor ?

Err both? I don't think its one or the other. Chip extractors take away the chips (often mistakenly called dust extractors). Dust extractors remove dust from the air. Dust from a lathe probably needs both - the extractor will suck away from a localised area, along with all the chips/shavings, and the dust extractor will get rid of anything that gets airbourne.

Adam

Les,

I don't tend to use a dust extractor while I'm turning (mine allegedly filters to about 0.5 microns) as I find it a bit noisy. I wear a dust mask most of the time though, and am seriously thinking about getting a rather better one than I currently have.

I can see that a dust filter might prevent dust from settling, but I'm not sure that it would remove it from the air quickly enough not to need a mask. I find a broom to be a good way of getting rid of the shavings whilst still being able to hear the radio :wink:

Cheers,

Dod

Have you checked out Laymar crafts site for some useful DIY ideas?

If you're not sure how effective your systems are... blow your nose when you leave the workshop! :shock:

I was sanding some Ash on the lathe last night. After I had wiped my glasses I still could see only dust!
What I wondered was, is a vacuum cleaner type Dust extractor (Record) better than an air filter (Microclene). what do others use?

Les
If you have plastic type lenses dont wipe them clean... could lead to very fine scratches... wash off with water, it removes dust particles.

I think Adam's right, extraction at the lathe plus an air filtration system, pricey but might stop the coffin :lol:

When you leave the workshop at the end of the day, leave a mirror on the lathe bed/bench and check it next morning...

I use a chip extractor but I find the noise unbearable after 20 minutes or so. I ALWAYS wear the Trend Airshield thing though! It works great and is comfortable too. I know they seem expensive but they are cheaper than an oxygen tent!!!! If anyone is thinking of getting an Airshield though I would recomend the second battery option.

Cheers,

Mick

I use a dust collector (4" hose) directly behind the piece being sanded. You can watch the ribbon of dust being sucked into the hose. I also have a 750cfm air filter up on the ceiling avove the lathes. I still get some dust flying around so I wear a resperator as well.

Tom

Duiker":2et2faff said:
I ALWAYS wear the Trend Airshield thing though! It works great and is comfortable too. I know they seem expensive but they are cheaper than an oxygen tent!!!! If anyone is thinking of getting an Airshield though I would recomend the second battery option.

Me too with the Airshield. But I don't think it's worth thinking of getting one, 'cos Racal don't make them any more, do they?
The separate battery pack is good, but I've had to rebuild the onboard battery pack on mine . Not too difficult if you get the solderable Ni-cad cells, although the only ones I could find were shorter than the originals and had to be padded to fill the holder.

Dick M

Back