Dust cyclone set up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to improve my current dust extraction solution. Currently, i have the following, short 4" pipe leading to a 6" pipe (two runs) lining to a 4" Y bend into an AXMINSTER HOBBY SERIES DUST EXTRACTOR MODEL: FM300B.

Has anyone set up a cyclone for this type of set up? also looking to mod the standard extractor to improve things....any ideas.

A cyclone doesnt "improve" the dust collection. In fact it slightly degrades it by slowing the air flow down a touch.
What is does do, is divert the dust into a normally larger solid container, fitted in such a way as to make it much easier to empty the dust and save the bag from getting clogged up.

I was under the impression that a cyclone would also improve suction ? Maybe i should have said more efficient, assuming i get the set up correct. Some of my issues are clogging up the current extractor with large chipping/shaving.

sunnybob":13w0z6jm said:
A cyclone doesnt "improve" the dust collection. In fact it slightly degrades it by slowing the air flow down a touch.
What is does do, is divert the dust into a normally larger solid container, fitted in such a way as to make it much easier to empty the dust and save the bag from getting clogged up.

I used a seperator type bin lid on top of a 200 litre plastic tank as I was unable to find a 4" cyclone reasonably priced, I think the bin lid was about £20. Since fitting it I have not yet had to empty the extractor bag as all the large debis goes into the bin. Works far better than O though and cheap as chips.

ScottGoddard":33hln9kx said:
I was under the impression that a cyclone would also improve suction ? Maybe i should have said more efficient, assuming i get the set up correct. Some of my issues are clogging up the current extractor with large chipping/shaving.

sunnybob":33hln9kx said:

No. If you think about it, your extractor is sucking a known quantity of air along the pipe. Every elbow, T or other fitting is friction, every metre of pipe is friction, especially if you are using curly hoses, which slows the air. A cyclone is a pretty major air flow interruption, it puts the air through at least 1 x 90 degree turn.

The MAIN reason for a cyclone is as stated, it diverts the dust and chips into a container that is more easily emptied than the factory bag. A well thought out cyclone bin can be emptied in seconds without having to use any new bags or filters.

The world acknowledged expert on dust extraction is Bill Pentz. you can lose several days of your life following his minutely detailed explanations of how to build a perfect system. Then you can spend a very large sum of money either making or buying his system.

Or, you can settle for 90% + extraction with a more easily handled and much less costly system such as you (and most of us) have.

It doesn't increase suction but it does mean you have a higher level of suction for longer because the diverted dust doesn't clog up filters as quickly.

Conversely as the filters get more dust on them the more efficient they get. :twisted:

Scott Bill Pentz's cyclone is one of the more efficient cyclones and has 2" of water column loss. Separator lids, various baffle tops and less efficient cyclones can add 4" or 5" of water column loss. That is quite a bit of drag that reduces the airflow which reduces the ability to capture fine dust in the first place. It will still grab coarse sawdust/chips if that is all you want to achieve but the more dangerous dust you can't easily see will be in the air so you should be wearing a good mask when you are in the shop. With a DC like yours there isn't a lot of extra suction to spare. Here is the link to Bill Pentz's site that Bob mentioned. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm There is a fair bit of repetition but that is to get the information to those that cherry pick portions of the site.

You asked about how to modify your DC to improve the performance. An Aussie woodworking forum has a dust extraction section that is the best I have found on the subject and there is a long thread (one of the stickies on the top) on modifying a 2hp DC. The author of it tested it before and after the modifications so you can see what effects/improvements the changes made. You should start there. The rest of the forum has a lot of good information on dust collection that will be useful to you.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f200/gen ... -dc-171247

Pete

Latest posts

Back