Dust Commander and Clones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At that price it is worth a go. If it works you save. If it does not send it back.

Looks just like my dust mite, which works brilliantly. I can't see any issue with it working or not should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One just landed on my doorstep this morning, as it happens. Ordered on the 15th April, so didn't take too long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to test it, but it looks well made, and I can't see any good reason why it wouldn't work.

What's funny is that the dust commander is actually a Chinese clone of the Oneida Dust Deputy.

I don't know how strong the plastic used is, but for 12 quid you can't really go wrong

Wish these had been available when I bought my dust deputy, though I suppose if you buy all the buckets and other fixings the price saved is not so much. Still worth a punt though, if I ever need to build another mini cyclone I will give these a go.

Rorschach":rb6pp49k said:
Wish these had been available when I bought my dust deputy, though I suppose if you buy all the buckets and other fixings the price saved is not so much. Still worth a punt though, if I ever need to build another mini cyclone I will give these a go.
I got an airtight 30L container from Amazon for £26, and then a few waste pipe fittings from B&Q for about a tenner. Still looking for a more elegant solution to attach it to my vac though!

You can see it on the left here. It's a bit frankenstein

e63cc593626067d87126019bd2ef123a.jpg

Coincidentally I took delivery of a Dust Mite this afternoon and spent a few hours using it to extract stone dust from a cup grinder. Usually flattening stone walls is a horrendous job but with the cyclone it's almost tolerable.

The dust the grinder produces is as fine as talc yet the vacuum bag is empty and the filter is still clean. Couldn't be happier with the performance.

(My vacuum is a Nilfisk Alto Attix 30 H something-or-other)

John Brown":81wbm6t3 said:
One just landed on my doorstep this morning, as it happens. Ordered on the 15th April, so didn't take too long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to test it, but it looks well made, and I can't see any good reason why it wouldn't work.
Finally got round to it, after less than a year... Found a 5 gallon tub that used to contain tennis balls. Cut a slightly tapered MDF disc on the bandsaw, then a larger one on top. Monkeyed around with 50mm down pipe(just too big - had to make a saw cut along the length) and some self-amalgamating tape(with insulating tape on top). Connected up my trusty Earlex shop vac. Works like a dream. Too well, maybe, as when I picked up a couple of stray washers, they went into orbit and wouldn't drop diown until I turned the thing off, or covered the sucking end of the hose with my hand. Unfortunately I have nowhere convenient to put the monstrosity in my tiny shed that's already full up with rubbish, so I'm thinking about moving the vac outside and bringing one hose through the wall.

I've got a Dust Commander hooked up to a Numatic NVD 750 and it works superbly. I use a small air tight container that used to be used for fish pond food. It's a little bit on the smallish side but I use the this set up for power tool extraction and as a general 'shop vac - Rob

I have been using 2 of them for a few years and they work perfect, the plastic is very tough and well made.....its daft paying loads more for a posh label.

Yep, been using a similar one for about 6 months.
I have a home made Thein baffle attached to a shop vac to which I then add the cyclone with a short length of hose to clean out the ash from the wood burner. The ash is held in the first container, a lidded bucket, without reaching the Thein baffle.

My only concern is that because of its smaller size it may clog if used with a planer or thicknesser.

Robbo3":1c50tvlz said:

My only concern is that because of its smaller size it may clog if used with a planer or thicknesser.
My guess is that it will...too small to be used with a p/t but fantastic for everything else - Rob

That's interesting I've had one like the white one which works well, I've had it a number of years it was over £30 when I got it, I considered it well worth the money.
I recently bought one off a well known online auction site for £12 posted, it looks very similar to the white one he has.
It seems sturdy enough has a sturdy flange and the input side snugly fits my sister in laws old vacuum cleaner hose.
There is one place where I think they may have saved a bit on the mould, the dust entrance port goes straight in no downward angle. It works ok taking small volume off the saw blade, but I've noticed when I use it to lift larger amounts off the floor, the dust goes round and round and takes a while to drop. Maybe to much pressure, I don't think I'll worry about it, I can vacuum the floor separately.

Edit to add.
I'm pretty sure that link you have is the one I bought, not the one he reviewed.

Attachments

• cyclone.jpg
    cyclone.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1
Capture.JPG

I use one of these on a 200 litre plastic drum with 100mm hoses, works a treat, hardly any dust goes to the extractor now, if it does it is very fine and never shavings or chippings from the machines

Latest posts

Back