Dust collector

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martynbez

Reaction score
First of all Hi all!

been looking to update my little wicks hover that I have been using as a dust extractor. I was looking at Axminster but after adding the cost of hoses etc it worked out expensive (on a real budget). The reason to update is I have just got one of Axminsters thicknesses and it creates an all might amount of mess.

I come across this today at Rutlands:

High Filtration Dust Collector - 50 Litre

Seems a good deal as it looks like the same as the Axminster one. With the extra bits its a pretty good price I think?

The Rutlands dust collector does look to be an exact clone of the Record Power DX1000 - which I have. One way to be sure is to download manuals for both and compare the parts list. Same diagram almost certainly means from the same factory.

Interesting Record Power have a 2nd machine with the equivalent spec. but made in England (not China) at almost twice the price. It's £200 vs £120 vs £60. I'm more than happy with the RP one but the Rutland machine would be just as good IMHO. I encourage you to get one e.g. when used with a bandsaw the "extra oomph" over a Henry (or equivalent) with the larger hose, means that dust in the BS lower cupboard is practically non-existent - so very satisfying to use.

One difference might be the hose that's supplied. The wire in the supplied tubing (and the quality) it may be coiled in the opposite direction however that's only an issue if you buy a cuff to put on the machine end e.g. to allow easy switching between several machines.

I put a picture of a stand with casters that I made for the RP machine on the forum (last thing you made). This type of accessory stand seem overpriced and having casters inside (under) rather than outside (outboard) of the footprint seems the wrong way to go.

FWIW the noise can be muted (slightly) e.g. by putting the cardboard box over the top of the unit as an experiment, it alters the sound (knocks off the high frequencies) and it's then not too unpleasant. When used with a table saw, the dust collector noise will probably not be noticed over the sound of cutting wood, but with a bandsaw it will be much louder than the machine. If your thicknesser is like mine than that will be more "table saw" than "bandsaw" noise, just with loads more mess!

I might experiment with a wooden top cover and having your own stand makes this a practical proposition e.g. add four upright "dowels" and a cover to the wooden base. Providing the airflow is not impeded, the turnover of air will not cause overheating as the last used air exits very quickly on my unit. One simple way to limit the noise is turn it off - I have a cheap adaptor that switches two pieces of equipment "on" when the primary one starts and off when you are done. I may add it to the stand e.g. an extension lead and adaptor attached to the cart.

Whichever way you go, RP list in their instructions which of their collectors suits which type of machine. For an "almighty" thicknesser it gets an Amber rather than Green rating. No doubt Rutlands will be the same, but both will be "good enough".

Thank you for your reply. Think I will take the plunge and get one. Like you said they may all come from the same factory and produce the same results.

martynbez":3gvae6xi said:
Thank you for your reply
I should apologise - I shouldn't encourage you to spend your money! I watched a youtube video for a bandsaw - and ended up buying the same BS. The same Rutlands Dust extractor was purchased and (will be) connected to the BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Dpt-VFiQU

NB It's for you to make your own mind up - but I don't like the wellington boots! The dust extractor is very similar to the RP version and also the Charnwood version. It's however £60 vs £120.

The differences are:

1. You have to put the paper bag onto the filter - RP do this for you
2. The packaging in the RP box is better
2. The screws and plastic mount are different/longer on the RP
3. RP (and Charnwood) give you a manual to download
4. RP give you a 5 year warranty, Charnwood a year and Rutland (not specified)

One of the comments was this is just a Chinese copy of the Record Power. That's not entirely true because the RP is also Chinese. RP do make a UK equivalent (that's 2x the DX1000 price) and also the Camvac, however the Rutland is (paper bag aside) not very different and almost certainly from the same factory as RP one.

I think the Camvac is only quieter when you add their exhaust port and it has the disadvantage that all the plumbing is extra. In Yandles the DX1000 extractor seems "quite loud" however when you use it at home it's OK and making some kind of cover to not inhibit but "shape" the sound is always an option.

I would make a point of checking the warranty length (1 or two years) and providing I had used it in the last week of the warranty, I wouldn't care too much about a shorter warranty because it either fails in week one of lasts (practically) forever.

The RP and Charnwood model have replaceable brushes however the Charnwood requires them to be unsoldered before replacing. So it's worth knowing if the Rutlands machine is the same/different but brushes usually last about 2,000 hours anyway.

I watched the video and other then it it being loud I feel it would do the job I need it to do.

I'll report back when it arrives (which should be today).

Thought I would follow up after a few weeks of ownership.

Very impressed so far. Excellent collection of chips and dust and the large drum should last a long time before emptying.

Only issue is it seems to get a little warm after a few mins usage. But I guess that could be down to using a small diameter hose.

Dont go too small with the hose.
The fan is kept cool from the air being sucked through the system If you restrict that flow the fan will have to work harder and will quickly overheat and fail.

If its 32 mm all the way then theres nothing you can do and it should be ok. If you do get problems you can just send it back.

I've been running the Rutlands cheap and cheerful extractor for a couple of years with about 3mtrs of 100mm flex hose and have no complaints. I would buy another one if current unit became unserviceable. I have only recently seen the need to fit a new paper intermediate bag.

See here

And Here

Only operational downside so far is the high noise level, but even that has the advantage of encouraging the use of the ear defenders.

Back