Dust collection - single or twin motor.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I still haven't sorted out my dust collection and the plan was/is to get a 100mm twin motor Camvac. At the moment, I can afford a single motor but it'll be a few weeks before I can afford a twin motor (new job, pay from last job, etc). The machine will be dedicated to the lathe only and only for dust, not bothered about shavings.

Just curious, as its going to be one hose (not a ducted system) whether a single would do or should I just wait and get the twin?

In your position about 25 years ago, I bought an Axy-badged Yorkleen Vacuum with 2 motors and three filters.........Said in the claims to filter down to a couple of microns....

The first filter is a large bag filter that fits over the whole drum. What gets through that next encounters another pair of filters one on top of the other, paper then cloth - there are two of those - one on each motor inlet.

It's brilliant at doing what it does, that is getting rid of the vast bulk of the very fine stuff that evades and flows through most other machines.

The drawbacks?
Cleaning the thing. It's a dress-to-kill-top-to-tail-outside-job, all masked up to the eyeballs.
I sling the paper filters along with all the schatzenschisen and kratzenkrud and wash the cloth ones - so a spare set of cloth filters to use on a rotational basis was an essential extra buy.

After 25 odd years of intermittent use the only things to fail a couple of years ago were both the capacitors - not expensive, Yorkleen put a couple in the post straight away.

This isn't specifically an endorsement of the Yorkleen machine (it's very good) but of a two-motor triple filter job to do what you want.

good luck!

Last edited:
Buy the best at filtering as it's the very fine dust particals the do the damage in your lungs , Also remember that very fine dust hangs in the air inside your workshop for hours , So don't think once you have turned off the extractor that you are safe

I have the DX4000 and I use the twin motors a lot, a single motor will do the job but the second motor is really useful for the planer thicknesser and the table saw. I’ve even used the both motors on the mitre saw when cutting MDF as it just catches a bit more bust. I haven’t found emptying too much of a pain although I always do it outside. The other benefit of two motors is that you can run continuously as each motor is only rated for 30 minute run time so you can switch between the two.

I don't know anything about the Camvac, but aren't they very noisy? I see it has an outlet to send the noise somewhere else, but why not look for one with an induction motor? Just a thought.

I have a Yorkleen WV2, got it on ebay for £40.
Its a twin motor unit, probable the same Argus has.
Go for a twin motor tho.

I would recomend them (specially if you find a second hand one cheap).

They don't make much airflow, even with two motors.
Can you position the intake within 2 inches of where the tool will be cutting at any moment ?
I'm sure others will disagree, but I think you will be disappointed using this type of machine to try and extract from a lathe.
At least they are quieter than a typical shop vac so it would have a second use as a good powertool extractor.

I was in the same position recently and decided to give Turners Retreat a call as they had been very helpful in the past. Spoke to someone (sorry forgotten his name), who was very helpful and gave a lot of impartial advice. He recommended the single motor would do for using on the lathe. I bought one and I'm very pleased with it. Get the "acoustic hose" as it reduces noise down to very acceptable level, especially if you put it through a wall/window and vent it outside - not that noisy without. It does a good job of extraction on the lathe with a 100mm stayput hose. It also makes a really good workshop vac as well. I also use it on a bandsaw and disk/belt sander and it works well. I think you only really need the twin motor for chip extraction or ducting.

Back