Dust collection hood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my dust collection system (twin motor camvac is the likely candidate) and was after some opinions on dust hoods and mounting options. At the moment, I'm using a single motor 100mm extractor with the hose acting as the hood. It's mounted on a home made 'bodge' that bolts to the lathe bed. I want to get away from a lathe mounted solution so was thinking of this Light Duty Variable Height Extraction Hood combined with either a hood or some of the 'stay put' hose.
thanks

I am in the same boat, scooby, so hope some good suggestions come in!
I have looked all over for a stay put hose, but only seem available in 2.5 inch - no four inch anywhere - unless anyone can point me in the right direction?

could I ask, are these designed for dust from sanding, or shavings from turning? (not that I ever need to sand my turnings... :))

It will depend on the power of your chip collector - mine is predominently dust as it is a wide mouyh but it does a sterling job on a standard chip collector, it also depends where you situate it, mine is just standing behind the lathe and I angle the hood accordingly

In practice, what advantage does the shaped head have over a 4" pipe with no head?

My simple (and evolving) solution for sanding dust is one of those thin brown plastic containers that supermarket mushrooms come in, shop vac via cyclone, pipe pushed through back and duct taped to it, container nailed to some old wooden curtain pole which is in turn nailed to a big lump of wood from an old table. Stands on floor and gets moved about. When I'm sure the design, especially height, is right, I will replacethe nails with screws. No expense spared here :)

I like this idea from Baconsoda especially if the lathe is located against a wall. Start at 3minutes 40 seconds.
-

A rainwater hopper can be used as a cheap dust hood. At 65mm it doesn't take much to get it to fit 63mm systems but 32mm will need adaptors. For 4" hose cut the spout off leaving a 100mm hole.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, great advice.
Marcros: its mainly for sanding dust.
Robbo: that video provides some great info and also a bit of a quandary as he uses a hvlp. I'd assumed a hplv would be better for dust (hence why I was planning on the twin motor Camvac). :unsure:

Ordered the Axminster stand, haven't decided which hood or extractor to get yet. Camvac is still the likely candidate.
Might make a hood (thanks Inspector for the pm) and thank you for all the comments.

Latest posts

Back