Dust collection advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.K.

Reaction score
Greetings. I’m currently building a modest workshop. I’m looking at dust collection options and have decided that a HPLV collector of some sort will be ideal for my needs. The problem is I have no idea which brands/models are both reliable and value for money. Budget is around the £400 mark so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

i had a record DX1000, but the noise drove me mad, now got a cam vac 286-3 and made myself a silencer i copied from this site noise level dropped from 87Db to 75Db i use this now through a home made cyclone i copied from a you tube post. this i use for point of source dust collection, and also have a record power AC400 air cleaner running all the time im in workshop and leave running on timer for a hour after leaving shop, you should be able to set this up for about £400, my shop is approx 5m X4M and 2.5 high, not sure what you are doing but should also think about some form of respirator, the JPS powercap are really good as is the axminster powercap

The Numatic NVD750 is a good machine sold in Axminster colours at a price far more than it's worth.
But you could buy the two motors as spare parts for £100 each, and the red plus white permanant filters are somewhere £50-70 a pair as spares.
Then all you need is a tin drum and a bit of ingenuity. Value engineering wise there's very little more to them than that ...

More seriously, 2x 1000 or 1200 watt motors will extract a 2" / 63mm hose properly. Twin motor moves more air than single and isn't much noisier. Numatic are reliable, whatever colours they come in and their permanent filters are good.
Cheap record units are horrid, feeble and obnoxiously noisy. Same goes for plenty of others.
Camvac units marketed by Record do seem to be quieter and could be worth a look but I think they use a canister filter on each motor and in my experience, that's far inferior to the numatic design.
What you are looking for is (relatively) low noise, reliable motors and something better than those lousy round pleated paper canister filters.
There are very few manufacturers of the actual vacuum motors. Everyone buys them in. Domel are better than Ametek Lamb in my experience so if you look up the make and price of a replacement motor before you buy, that will give you a clue too.

I'm more of a HVLP follower but if I was looking for a HPLV setup I would investigate a central vacuum and exhaust it outside, with a silencer/muffler if neighbours were close. They are quieter, have in some cases higher suction rates and are in the ballpark or better in price. You could put a small cyclone (asian imports are cheap) in front to remove the larger stuff.

Pete

Same here. My HVLP collectors get used more than my HPLV ones.

I think it depends what tools are connected to it and if you can get away with more than one.

I have a Fox F50-842 2hp (HVLP) dust extractor outside the workshop connected to my router table and belt/disc sander, a Clarke CDE35B 1hp (HVLP) dust extractor through a cyclone connected to my table saw only, a Fox F50-800 (HPLV) connected to my sanders and handheld routers and a cheap portable (HPLV) extractor for when I need to use my circular saws or when onsite.

The HVLP extractors are a lot quieter and if you have a 16A supply I'd go for the Fox F50-843 (3hp).

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/product/fox- ... r-f50-843/

Bear in mind that it's quite big. I have the single bag 2hp one and that's located outside in its own shed as it takes too much room up inside.

I have the fox 3hp twin bag model and it works very well,its a big lump so you need space,i have mine in a purpose made enclosure outside at the end of the workshop ,when its running you can barely hear it inside my workshop,run 4 ports with blast gates with ease and even though i have a 16amp supply i have found it works on a 13amp supply with no problem.

Same here. Mine is the 2hp and but also situated outside the workshop in it's own little enclosure (portaloo toilet the misses refers it to) and you can't hear the thing when running.

I have a dual remote control switch to turn both HVLP extractors on but thinking of an LED of some sort to show if the outside extractor is on or off.

Latest posts

Back