Dust collection, 2 queries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I have two questions I hope you can assist me with.

1. Does anybody have a recommendation of where or who sells 4" blast gates? other tha Rutlands which charge a bomb for a little piece of plastic.

2. Can anybody tell me how to connect 110mm soil pipe to 100mm spiral flexible dust hose.

Many thanks in advance.

David

Bluekingfisher":2vdmmusq said:
Evening all,

1. Does anybody have a recommendation of where or who sells 4" blast gates? other tha Rutlands which charge a bomb for a little piece of plastic.

2. Can anybody tell me how to connect 110mm soil pipe to 100mm spiral flexible dust hose.

Dunno the answer to the first one, but for the second, you could try cutting off a couple of inches of the plastic pipe, cutting it lengthways and removing a section so that when closed up again, it just fits inside the uncut pipe. That should give you a section a bit over 100mm diameter, and the flexible would probably have enough give to fit over it tightly. If it does, then slather the join with solvent adhesive and Bob's your uncle?

You could have a look at this for sale thread.....for-sale-record-dx4000-extractor-and-100mm-duct-fittings-t58430.html

The various self-made fittings were made from soil pipe (the push-fit connectors were made from two concentric rings of soil pipe each cut down to the appropriate diameter and solvent welded - quite a bit of work but all works well if you get the sizes right).

Axminster are about half the price of Rutlands for this stuff (and my asking price was about half of Axminster's price, with the complicated bits thrown in for nothing....!)

Cheers

One technique is to glue a 100mm blast gate into the end of 110mm pipe using PU glue which foams up to fill the gap and then fix the flexi pipe to the other side of the gate.

If you ever holiday in France, their soil pipe is 100mm diameter and is sold in both long and short lengths.
You can also fill the bore up with bottles of wine and it takes up very little extra room in the car.

hth

Bob

Dick, scholar, Bob, Bob & Chems - thanks very much for the help fellahs, much appreciated.

I think I can manage the work required and the fact that Rutlands won't be getting my money pleases me even more, although I did check the Axi site for blast gates and they only threW up blast gates for 63mm systems.

Scholar, I will be sending you a PM

I've had a few people asking about Cyclone Central supplying, blast gates, what's a reasonable price? I think we could manufacture them for £5 each, probably less if sold in units of 5 or 10.

Not a bad idea Chems but Axi are charging £4.99 each anyway so unless yours would have a distinct advantage, such as

no closed end to bung up with dust
110mm in 100mm out,
Low voltage switch built in to control a DC
etc
I can't see it being that viable.

Sorry this was meant to be constructive!

Bob

Very constructive. We could probably do them for less I think easily, I'd have to have a look. Make them in bulk could work out cheaply, can easily do 110mm to 100mm and an open end to stop the dust build up.

I tried the solutions suggested by you chaps earlier, works a treat, I cut a 1/2" section, lenghtways out of a 3" offcuts of the 110mm pipe on the bandsaw, then used the pipe solvent cement and clamped in a couple of 4" hose clips.

Cutting out a 1/2" section then squeezing back together gave me a perfect smooth slip fit inside the 110mm pipe. I have plenty of scraps of MDF/ply/particle board so I'LL try out making my own blast gates too.

Thanks for the help fellahs.

David

I had the same problem. I used a soil pipe adapter for hooking it up to my extractor and made my own blast gates out of scraps of 18mm and 6mm MDF. It was along the lines of 2 pieces of 18mm sandwiched with 6mm strips along the side. Then the gate was a piece of 6mm with a 25mm hole drilled in one end as a handle. I routed a 110mm hole in the top and glued in the soil pipe. I did the same on the bottom and used hose connected cut in half to connect the spiral hose. These ones from Axi.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... prod22310/

I'll post the sketch up design if I can find it.

Ta,
Sam

blast_gate.jpg

Thanks for the sketch Sam, I spent the day making 8 blast gates. I just wonderd, how did you rig up your drsign to prevent he baffle coming all the way out when you pull it open to allow the air through.

My blast gates are 155mm x 155mm and the baffles are 235mm long, leaving approx 75mm protruding.

I used scraps of hardwood glued and pinned to the end of the baffle rather than drill a hole.

David

I don't prevent the baffle coming all the way out. This was something I didn't like about the shop bought ones when they got clogged down with sawdust. I designed it so I could remove the baffle for easy cleaning. Hasn't caused me any problems in use to date.

Bluekingfisher":2z3k77s9 said:
Evening all,

I have two questions I hope you can assist me with.

Many thanks in advance.

David

I'm in the process of hooking up my extraction system and am right now in the middle of making my own blastgates. I too had to find a way of reducing from 110mm soil pipe to 100mm flexible hose. I've acheived this by using a short length of soil pipe into one side of the blastgate and half an Axminster flexible hose joiner into the other side. These http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hose-joiners-prod22310/. By cutting them in the middle I got two stumps sufficient for two blastgates.
Adjacent to each machine my network of 110mm soil pipe ends at a soil pipe connector/flange with rubber seal and the stump of 110mm pipe on the blastgate just pushes in there.
Maybe a bit hard to explain here in words but I'll try to put some pictures on my extraction thread this evening. Here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/extraction-lvhp-chip-hvlp-dust-or-both-t56466.html There's already some pictures there that show the connection points with rubber seals where each blastgate will be mounted.

Mark

If ever the gas board is doing roadwork in your area then try and blag some offcuts of their yellow 125mm gas pipe.

The walls are approx 7mm thick and will take a screw, it is also easily turned plus the inner dia is a push fit for 110mm soil pipe.

This is how I make blast gates, will post some photo's when next in the workshop

For those thats interested these are the blast gates I made using the aforementioned gas pipe, they work really well and are a push fit onto 110mm soil pipe
DCP_2402.jpg

DCP_2403.jpg

DCP_2404.jpg

DCP_2405.jpg

And a piece of the pipe showing the wall thickness which will take a small screw and is also turnable on the lathe

DCP_2406.jpg

Back