Durer Carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I am struggling with my first relief carving. I think ambition rather overreached skill at this point but I am certainly learning a lot! The carving is modelled after the famous painting by Albrecht Durer and is an exercise in one of Chris Pye's books.

I am just embarking on the veins on the back of the hands and it seems incredibly difficult to get them right. Apart from anything else, they are small details which stand proud of the hand so the rest of the hand has to be "carved down" and if you get it wrong, you have to go over the whole thing again. Very teeth gnashing!

Apart from the actual carving techniques that need to be mastered, there is a huge challenge for me in visualising the desired end result in 3D. I made the plasticine model to aid this process.

DSC_2632web.jpg

DSC_2636web.jpg

Superb - you really are expanding those skills! Knowing how long it took me to carve my name - that must have taken a very long time!

Adam

Looks good to me Chris. I don't think I could draw hands never mind carve them.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am struggling with my first relief carving
This is obviously some new meaning of the word struggling of which I was previously unaware :)
I will now go and sit in a corner and feel totally inadequate :(

Graeme

waterhead37":1i921rr3 said:
... struggling ...
:D Yeah - Sure looks that way. Give up now before you embarrass yourself! :wink:

How do you even start something like that? Looking wonderful.

Looking great Chris been meaning to tackle that one myself.Not had any lessons with Chris Pye yet but i have most of his books

Well done

Steve

Cor Chris-you really are getting "handy" with those carving chisels..... :roll:
Sorry, being dying to type that in for four hours-couldn't restrain myself any longer!
Looks great-what timber is it carved in?
Best regards
Philly :D

Let's give the man a big hand, folks :).

Not that he needs one - he's got a couple of his own and a lovely matching pair to spare.

Gill

Chris, If that was my carving I'd quit now and have it hanging on a frame in a prominant place in my home :) . But something tells me theres a lot more to come from your carving :) :) :)
I think it's excellent, can't wait for the veins :D

you're sayin this like there's somethin wrong with the piece.....??

what are ya... nutz or somethin....????????

nuff said..?????

Chris

You are looking good man. :D

I would be to intimidated to even try this. :cry:

If words of encouragement will help you finish, then you have them.

Travis

Chris I have been trying to carve for the first time and have been struggling too, but in Shropshire that word obviously has a different meaning to where you live.

I started when I got a video for Christmas "Carving the femail form" by Ray Gonzalez and have been trying to follow it without much success.

Keith

Thank you everybody for your encouraging words. I started this carving lark in order to be able to do the sort of period furniture that demands it and that is still the plan but it will be a while yet before I am ready to make a Newport secretary.

The wood I am using here is lime (Tilia spp). It looks browner in the picture than it actually is - I did not correct for the artificial light in the workshop. I guess that I have worked on this for a total of about 35 hours which is plainly pretty slow going, although that does include sharpening a few new tools and the initial shaping and sharpening of a new tool can take quite a while.

KeithS":2b7ksus8 said:
I started when I got a video for Christmas "Carving the femail form" by Ray Gonzalez and have been trying to follow it without much success.Keith

Keith you are obviously letting the subject matter distract you!

Philly":2b7ksus8 said:
Cor Chris-you really are getting "handy" with those carving chisels..... :roll:

Groan :roll:

Latest posts

Back