Dulux Trade Colour Sensor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been a while, not an expert. I do know they cost an awful lot of money. Fairly accurate but you have to be careful that they don’t just sell you the nearest colour on their chart, I might be wrong but I think they can only mix the colours on all their little sample cards (But that is hundreds) it won’t give them a recipe for something that isn’t there to start with. Ian

I’ve used it a couple of times and not been impressed. I needed to match some paint after knocking through a new door, took a large sliver of the existing paint to scan and match against. All I can say is that it was similar but no where near matched. In the end I painted the whole wall to the corner and you can just about get away with it.

Perhaps it was the nearest shade issue mentioned above?

Thanks for your comments.

I’ve bought one off of eBay for a knock down price and used it with the iPhone app. The colours that come up on the phone are way off, but then again I’m not sure if that’s just the phone.

I’m going to get one of the Dulux colour swatch cards to see what the actual colours look like using the code and see if that’s any closer.

Thanks for your comments.

I’ve bought one off of eBay for a knock down price and used it with the iPhone app. The colours that come up on the phone are way off, but then again I’m not sure if that’s just the phone.

That‘s concerning as the iPhone has a very good colour matched screen, so I suspect if the screen shows it as off then it is off. Please report back from the colour chart though.

I suspect Dulux has re-badged this sensor.

Nix Colour Sensor

Buying the Nix sensor has the advantage that it will match to many manufacturers rather than Dulux Specific. Only questions is which sensor is Dulux using….the Mini 2 or Pro 2?

Edit: The Dulux is probably the Mini 2 which at £79.99 from Nix is half the price.
(The Pro 2 is significantly larger)

Edit2: After reading CNET Review I think I’ll stick with eyeball mk1.

Last edited:
That‘s concerning as the iPhone has a very good colour matched screen, so I suspect if the screen shows it as off then it is off. Please report back from the colour chart though.
OK, the colour chart arrived.

So I thought a good test would be to use the sensor on the colour chart. And sure enough, every colour that I placed the sensor on the colour chart swatch, the sensor recognised with the exact code.

But, place the sensor on the emulsion wall I am trying to match, well it recognised it as a "yellow" and I found the code on the swatch. The iPhone colour and the swatch colour were the same, pity that they didn't match the wall colour!

I think I will give Dulux a shout and see what I might be doing wrong.

Latest posts

Back