Dulling down glossy vinyl doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just read a thread on creating a glossy finish it reminded me to ask my question.

As a temporary measure we had to buy a couple of kitchen cabinet doors and drawers fronts to match the old kitchen doors, prior to me making new doors later in the year.

The existing doors are a yinyl wrap with a semi matt finish in maple.

The local replacement door unit can make up the same doors but only with the high gloss sheen. As it is only for a few months I can live with the anomally but wondered if there is a way to dull the high sheen on the vinyl a little??

Thanks in advance

I'm not quite I'm understanding what a "vinyl wrap" is, but since any sheen is a surface effect, a coat of satin varnish will give a satin effect.

Indeed, the instructions on my tin of satin varnish recommend that ALL the coats of varnish be "normal" (AKA gloss) except the top one.

BugBear

If you can try on a sample. Rubbing down with 400gt > 600gt > 1200 wet and dry using soap and water works. Geoff

Thanks gents, I might try the wet and dry method, just to take the high gloss off it and blend in a little more with the existing doors.

BB - I don't think varnish would not be practicable mate, that said, it is only for a short period of time and the doors will be thrown out in the not too distant future.

Thanks fellahs

Back