Duff Dakota equi-divider.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordec66

Established Member
Reaction score
Received this yesterday(service from Rutlands good), immediatley whipped out my pencil
and proceeded to equally divide a piece of wood. I then took precise measurements of the
sample and lo and behold 3mm diff from one end to other, graduating segment by segment.

My interpretation of equal is all bits should be the same!

The supposed locking nuts didn't lock properly, and in general it looks and feels sloppy and poorly made.

Has anyone else got one of these and do you think I just got a duff one.

Please don't interpret this as any sort of criticism or sneer - it isn't intended as such. I wonder if you might be better off sending the device back to Rutland's for a refund, and buying a pair or two of dividers instead. The equi-divider seems a complicated way of doing something fairly simple, and errors of 3mm seem excessive, to me.

In case anybody hasn't come across the method of dividing a board (or whatever) into equal parts using dividers, here's how. Let's say you want five equal divisions. Set the dividers to about one fifth of the length to be divided - doesn't have to be exact, at the moment. Set one point of the dividers exactly at one end of the length, and step across lightly five steps (it's usually more accurate - and quicker - to 'swing round' on each point as it's planted, rather than make a mark and move the whole instrument). The final step will in all probability miss the other end by a fair amount, so adjust the setting of the dividers by about one fifth of the error, and step across again. This time, there will still be an error, but it'll be much smaller. Adjust by one fifth of the new error, and step across again. The chances are, you'll now be so close that it'll make no odds, but if not, adjust again. When you're satisfied with the adjustment, step across again, using slightly heavier pressure to leave a mark where each point lands. Put a pencil ring round each mark so that you'll see it again, and the job's done. The whole takes only a few seconds.

Dividers are fairly easy to find - Ebay usually has a few at less than a tenner, or Engineer's merchants have the screw-adjustable ones (these are often a bit flimsy, and need a delicate touch in use to avoid errors from distorted legs). It's worth having a couple of pairs, one weeny (say 3" or 4"), and one a bit bigger (say 8").

+ 1 for that advice.

Rutlands do sell some good, useful tools, but they sometimes seem over-eager to push the 'novelty' items that just make life more complicated.

Back