Duet Piano Stool in Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
Well, here's what I've been working on in evening class for the last two terms.

This is what got me into woodworking after the collapse of the old stool, I said "I can do better than that". Started last September in evening class, it's taken me two terms to complete and may have been a tad ambitious for a first project. However, I am very pleased with it and glad that I embarked on something like this. I have learnt far more and found greater satisfaction from it than I may have from a simpler project.

The construction is oak with 5mm ply base and 12mm top that has been upholstered with foam and a very nice piece of material that I managed to find for £2.50. 8)

Sides and legs are all joined using mortice and tenon joints and as there is likely to be a large amount of books inside, an extra strengthening cross piece has been included. Seems strong enough and stood the test of my 6 year old standing inside it when he decided it would be a good platform to reach something :?

Made all sorts of mistakes whilst making it that thankfully, my tutor, Phil, was able to help me sort out. You may notice that in the WIP picture that it seems taller than the finished item. Oh well, I reckon that I learnt more that way in the end.

Here's the WIP picture. Sorry about the quality, but it was taken on my mobile phone.

pianostool1.jpg

The finish is Chestnut cellulose sanding sealer with a couple of coats of Chestnut's Woodwax 22. I really like this finish and have been using it on my turned items for a while now. I find it gives the wood a sort of warm glow and brings out the beauty of the oak really well. It is especially good for the evening class situation due to the very short drying times involved.

Brass hinges and stays gave it the finishing touches.

Anyway, here's the finished item pics, click on them for bigger versions.

And with the lid open and a view inside:

Barry,

Well done, it looks great and I'm sure will make a handsome addition to your music room! Good result on the upholstery, I have real trouble with that part of a job.

Hi Barry,

What they all said. :)

I think the term heirloom fits this, I can see you six year old passing it on to your grandchildren. 8)

Hi all,

Thanks for all the kind words. I am really pleased with the stool, it has been fun to make and I think it will last a while yet. It has withstood over thirty stones of lardies sitting on it at one point! :shock:

Chris,
I must admit that the upholstery was one of the most problematical parts of it. Finding upholstery foam in the right size and thickness was difficult and at times either unobtainable or extortionate. I ended up layering several pieces together to get the thickness I needed. Phil's method of doing the upholstery was very straightforward and worked out well. There were a few problems with staple guns without enough power though.

Beginner? Well, yes I do consider myself as such. I've done a fair bit of woodturning and was going to enter into the intermediate section but never got around to making the thing I was planning. I have done very little real woodworking and this was my first major project, in fact these were the first real mortice and tenons that I have done successfully. However, if the judges feel that it should be moved over a notch, I have no objection. I do fancy the DMT stones anyway.

Beautiful job Barry, love the upholstery.

I'm no pianist, but if you've got to do it, its better with a friend :shock:

The next problem of course, is deciding what to make next!

Dennis

Latest posts

Back