Duck tape or duct tape?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant thread. Thanks Phil.
What came first? I love stuff like this. Bit like 'oranges or the word orange?' And what did we call orange stuff before we imported oranges if it's true that oranges and not the word orange came first. I mean. What word did people use to describe the colour of marmalade say, before we imported oranges and no one knew the word orange.
Genuine mystery. Like the the Mary Celeste. Or the Mary Queen of Scots. Or even more mysteriously the Mary Rose. Or choosing to get married at all with hindsight.
Did you know that if you say O r a n g e really slowly and I DO mean really slowly it sounds like gullible??

We used to pull a length of cord out of a strip then lay it carefully down the side of the new guys expensive new car (They always seemed to have a nice new car). Nothing looks more like a keyed scratch.

I like Duck duct tape, I’m sticking with that & Gaffer tape will always be exactly that, both are great tapes!

we use Denso tape for preservation on blank machine parts and valves, the messiest stickiest stuff known to man.
After handling just a bit of it the gloves go straight in the bin!
Used to use Denso tape and Denso paste for protecting the bolt threads on flanged iron pipe work that was to be buried. Grim stuff but strangely satisfying to apply. I always found the tape really awkward to cut as it instantly bunged up whatever blade I tried. By chance I was once walking past a couple of lads from a different company taping up some bolts and when they’d used all they needed they simply gave the roll a sharp tug and the tape separated in a perfectly straight line. I’d just been doing it wrong for years...

I too like this thread. To me it was always "DUCT" tape ('cos of where it's often used) whereas "DUCK" tape was just a mis-pronunciation/misunderstanding. You live & learn.

But if you want to talk about "liquid/semi-liquid" sealants, wait until you've tried PRC (a 2-part sealant used extensively in aviation). HORRIBLE stuff to get off your overalls & hands.

Rose's lime or Frank Cooper's Oxford?

Frank Cooper's Oxford of course (apart from being the only one of those that's remotely edible, it's the only one of those that's available here!).

Though to be fair to the locals, I have just found a very good "almost there" substitute for Cooper's in our supermarket - made by a local producer too.

Back