dual extractor system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
am I right in thinking that there is no technical reason why 2 extractors can't be connected together in a system in parallel.

i.e. 2 shopvacs or 2 chip extractors with inlets and exhausts joined, obviously with suitable connections e.g. Y piece for inlets.

maybe giving a system where 1 can be used, then the second switched in for more exhaustive loads? hopefully giving a balance of noise/suck and running cost?

the system I am considering is a cyclone driven from 2 extractors , both exhausts venting into a common filter "bag" or box.

been considering it for a while but not really up on fluid flow theory....

Steve

I can't see why that wouldn't work. As long as it all lead into the one sucking tube so to speak.

If they both go to the same filter, wont the back pressure push dust back through the unit that was switched off? Also the back pressure would be greater when they were both running, so that might make them less effective than you might expect, unless the filter was big enough for the pair.

Back