Drying freshly cut logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_87

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently had a large willow tree cut down and all the logs left. There are a few pieces that are about 17"x7", id like to try my hand at turning these into solid drum shells but am unsure on how to dry them.

An article I read said logs crack due to the core being harder/denser than the rest and as that dries and shrinks it cracks the rest. So drill it out and remove the bark then leave to sit and dry.

Another thing i read said to put it in a bin liner with saw dust and replace the saw dust every few weeks.

I will be turning it down to a 14" tube about 1" thick, does anyone have any experience or tips on drying these logs?
Thanks,
Dave.

are they suitable? willow is generally fast growing and not highly regarded for turning.

Regarding their suitability, I don't know, to be honest these will be mainly for practice and will be done on a router lathe rather than a real one so will be an interesting experiment at the very least.
Unfortunately the link posted by CHJ re drying logs doesn't seem to work anymore.
Thanks for the replies gents.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Logs will never dry unless you take a substantial amount of material away. But how are you planning to remove the core (pith)? Also, whats a "router lathe"? It sounds like a serious DIY style means of turning a spindle unless I'm mistaken?? What diameter are the logs? Logs, when mounted on even a substantial cast iron bedded lathe are very untrue and therefore cause a lot of vibration unless turned with a really low speed. I'm sensing a massive personal safety risk with the methods you're suggesting unless I've misunderstood the scale of the job and the nature of a router lathe?

To remove the pith I was planning on drilling a series of holes in a circle leaving about 2-3 extra inches over what I need.
The router lathe, I've made a jig that will rotate the piece over a table router. The log will be spun by hand so will be relatively safe.. I think.

f4f02e9390759fa4907323232b294566.jpg

dave_87":3v54t1yn said:
Unfortunately the link posted by CHJ re drying logs doesn't seem to work anymore.

??? That's not so as far as I can tell, It certainly opens in PC and Tablet browsers that I have checked with.

Unfortunately, as you say your logs have been cut to approx. 7" length, then the chance of drying them as complete rounds is very low, being just about worst case for avoiding rapid drying from end grain.

Willow being quick growing and very high natural moisture content is one of the most difficult to dry successfully without controlled kilning.

Probably because I'm using my phone, Will have a look on the PC later.
Thank you.

If you attempt to core the logs into rough cylinders, the be prepared for them to go oval as they dry, assuming they hold together at that sort of diameter expect the movement to be 20-30 mm out of round.

OK thanks, do you think the would stay more round if I left a bit more meat on the bone whilst leaving them to dry?

dave_87":1upxfsr6 said:
OK thanks, do you think the would stay more round if I left a bit more meat on the bone whilst leaving them to dry?

No, will just encourage them to split.

The shrink ratio, short grain versus long grain will remain the same.

I must confess its not my design, was posted on a drum builder's forum. I just adapted it to incorporate a few extra features.

I think, reading between the lines, that most of the posters think you are on a loser trying to get anything out of these logs. To start with willow is not a good turning wood to start with and as it has been cut into 7" lengths the chance of it drying in a manner that it will be suitable to turn is very low. Possibly worth waiting until something more suitable turns up.

Nice router lathe though!

Chris

Yeah I was thinking the same to be honest.
However, it was only destine to become fire wood so if it doesn't work out, it'll go back to being fire wood.
Will be a learning experience for me and something to do whilst I'm between builds.

Thank you all for the input.

Austinisgreat":m9zywmi6 said:
Unfortunately willow also makes for terrible firewood! Even if seasoned it can leave horrible thick tarry deposits in your flue or chimney.

Sorry!

Andrew

Not sure about that :?

Willow is perfectly good firewood if dried properly. One of the main species used for short rotation coppice. Yes it's a light wood for a hardwood so not very energy dense but burns lovely when dry.

This old classic doesn't even mention willow as a contender for fires :)

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.