Dry assembly with dominos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any good tricks for dry assembling with dominos? I have tried pulling them out with pliers, drilling a
Small hole through them and pulling them out with a drill bit, etc and is always such a pain to do. aside from planing some down slightly does anyone have any bright ideas?
Thanks

I can usually pull them out with a pair of adjustable pliers but I must admit some are tough to get out. I've started to build up a collection of dominoes where I've very slightly sanded down the faces to make them a looser fit. I don't reduce the width as I find that helps them hold in the hole better.

wobblycogs":l1hgh6wb said:
I can usually pull them out with a pair of adjustable pliers but I must admit some are tough to get out. I've started to build up a collection of dominoes where I've very slightly sanded down the faces to make them a looser fit. I don't reduce the width as I find that helps them hold in the hole better.

This is exactly what I do, I've coloured the planed down dominoes to identify which is which.

However, I went through a tricky patch with the new Domino XL, when I started using dominoes for bigger and bigger projects. The problem came when I started to use multiple large XL dominoes in individual joints. Because the layout was complicated I wanted to be sure I'd got it right so used "untrimmed" dominoes for a dry assembly, even without glue it was an epic struggle getting the joint apart!

Keeping them as dry as possible helps - I keep a couple of little bags of silica gel in with the dominos. Otherwise microwaving a handful usually dries them out enough to make for an easier fit.

Latest posts

Back