Drummond Round bed questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

joshvegas

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye out for a treadle metal lathe for a while. I'm a bit taken with human powered tools, already have a small and extremely useful hand cranked drill press. So after a couple of years idly cheking gumtree and ebay once in a blue moon for something nearbye... I found one!.... in my late Grandpa's shed during a clear out after my Gran died.

I am now the proud owner of a generally functioning early drummond roundbed (also myford woodlathe on its cabinet and a kity bandsaw and lots of fun bits an pieces in general) but back to the lathe, largely rust free everythign needs a bit of a clean but it all appears to move and te first order of business is get it mounted on something and i need a drive belt.

I have got various pdfs but does anyone happen to know what belt dimensions are most suitable (length obviously varies with final height. And with regards to height, I plan on mounting it on a slay of laminated 2x4s with some sort of thin metal tray for catching the mank but i have the opportunity t mount it at any height i like so is there a 'good height' in my head the wheels for tool control are probably most comfortable at elbow height?

There may be more questions and photos as i progress along the lines of "what is this and what do i do with it?" but for now all opinions (and even some facts if appropriate are most welcome)

joshvegas

Established Member
Reaction score
I hadn't actually realised there was a business attached to Lathes.co.uk, weirdly the belt section seems to be caput. I'll send him an email.

Spent a happy couple of hours with the degreaser all the ancillaries are clean and oily ragged for storage. next stage is the big bits, I am not looking forward to lifting the bloody thing again, bearhugging it down the stairs was terrifying the size defies the weight!

dickm

Established Member
Reaction score
If it's pretty much unworn, you've got a real friend there. I had a flat-bed Drummond for some years, converted from treadle power by a previous owner and it was a great machine. Still not sure why I fell for a Myford Super 7 (apart from it being cheap and in good condition!) and sold the Drummond..

joshvegas

Established Member
Reaction score
You're right Sandy, I was using the 'belts' link at the bottomof the lathe history pages.

On your comment i went back and started from the home page and that worked perfectly, cheers.

If it's pretty much unworn, you've got a real friend there. I had a flat-bed Drummond for some years, converted from treadle power by a previous owner and it was a great machine. Still not sure why I fell for a Myford Super 7 (apart from it being cheap and in good condition!) and sold the Drummond..

I've had the main spindle out from the pulleys that was a rubber mallet job as its almost an interference fit and the bearing locations are mirror finish with do lip of anykind. Its clearly been used or atleast its been dismantled a few times as there are the odd bump and scrape and there is a bunch of what look like practice pieces. I suspect that came to a halt sometime as the banjo has been broken, I know one of my uncles welded it when they got it. The weld is not pretty its going to take a bit of work to straighten it out aswell.

Latest posts