drum sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeghead

Established Member
Reaction score
maybe a daft question, but where can i get a decent drum sander from?
new or 2nd hand doesn't matter, but needs to be of a decent quality.
had a look on google and usual tinterwebs sites, but struggling to find one.
any help would be appreciated.
ta.
chris.

Jet make one....prob find one from AXminster....
have a look on utube plenty of decent home made ones....
I'd look on eBay for u but it's not working for me at the mo.....

maybe a daft question, but where can i get a decent drum sander from?
new or 2nd hand doesn't matter, but needs to be of a decent quality.
had a look on google and usual tinterwebs sites, but struggling to find one.
any help would be appreciated.
ta.
chris.
Depends on the size and proposed use ( as with all tools ! )
I have a drum sander that works up to a 3 inch diameter drum _ enough for my current needs
It is a European make - made in China, but has worked well so far
Ask Mr Google

I've got one of the large'ish Axminster ones. 635mm wide I think.

I (mis)use it a lot and it's a brutal enough machine.

They are insane money new, but I looked relentlessly for some time, and, when one came up, not much short of 3hrs away, I drove there the next day.

I think I paid £600 or £650 or somthing, and it needs a new starter enclosure.

...but again they are just silly money new. And not popular enough for there to be loads on the used market all the time.

I use mine (mis-use) in place of a planer for figured timber after resin fills. I find it's the easiest way to take out movement from blanks before final finishing, so I leave parts oversize on the thickness and then take them down with multiple passes right at the end. Like you would a thicknesses, but a slow and tedious one, that, on the upside, doesn't eat parts... (I have a thicknesser)

Axminster just rebadged stuff. So you will find most of their electric stuff under different brand names, made, I'm sure, in the same chinease factory.

So, when you know what size tool you want, make sure you search for all the other brands that rebadge that same tool also.

Good luck. The unit I have made a real difference to the speed of the work I'm recently doing. Again, I know I'm abusing it (in terms of intended function, rather than in terms of mechanical strain) but, slow as it is, it gets the results I was after.

Online marketplaces + patience

They are not often listed so you have to wait and then move quick.

The smaller ones hold value better than larger ones

Theres a couple on ebay about 80 miles away from you . Bit of a round trip for sure, but make a day of it, stop for chips, a look around, maybe a sleep in the back seat you should be ok.

I need a pair of festool connector strips for their guide rails, and i need them tomorrow for sizing sheets on Tuesday. To get them the nearest tool store is 20 miles away, thats 40 miles return and i shall be cycling it on the old pushbike.
It would probably both take us the same amount of time to cover each leg of the trip. If you drive that is.

Online marketplaces + patience

They are not often listed so you have to wait and then move quick.

This backs up my experience exactly.

I knew I wanted one. I think it probably took a couple of months, and, close to the end, I was refreshing Facebook etc two or three times a day.

And, as I said, made a (according to Google) 2hr 50min (one way) trip the next day to pick it up.

I think Axminster is currently selling the model I have for £3k, and I paid about 1/5th of that price.

It's the same as anything really - you can buy one tomorrow with ease, or you can wait and put in effort and save a couple of grand.

Time / money judgements are different for different people, but I couldn't justify spending £3k on one.

What, you are using a real tradition pushbike that requires personel effort, good on you !
No, obviously im not, im using my £5k full suspension mountain ebike :LOL::LOL:

But to the uninitiated and uninformed, the ebike isnt a motorbike and effort is required. It is to negate the extra effort required on hills and into the wind that normally knackers an old git like me. But 20 miles on any bike is still a journey that will require a snooze upon return.

many thanks for the replies all :)
looking for something that will give a very accurate thickness.
will have a good look round.

I think if u want accuracy u'll need one with two support bearings on the main shaft....
but limits the woods width going thru it....
a single sider wont give u that acc properly....but close enough....!!!!!!
u decide

I think if u want accuracy u'll need one with two support bearings on the main shaft....
but limits the woods width going thru it....
a single sider wont give u that acc properly....but close enough....!!!!!!
u decide
Some open ended models have a removable support - see the Scott-Sargeant range. It's a mod I've been thinking of for my old Jet machine.
Brian

I have the Laguna 16-32 Supermax. Fairly easy to achieve thickness accuracy of 0.1mm with DRO. Max thickness is 75mm. I like the speed of changing the load - usually takes <30s if I have my head on straight. Never regretted getting the machine.

there are several on the market from various brands...all are very similar in design & operation, and if used right all work well & can be very accurate

i have the iTECH MS3156 550mm from Scott & Sargeant, i i use it to bring bandsaw cut veneers to final precise thickness, i upgraded from a lovely little 10" machine as i needed more width in a single pass... think thaey are £1600+ new, i spotted a as new only used a couple of times machine on ebay for £1000 and pounced on it, i had been looking at getting a Laguna until i saw that

20220414_082932.jpg

Here's one I made earlier 🤭🤣🤣
20220414_082932.jpg

I recently bought the Laguna Supermax 16-32. It's pricier than the similarly specced alternative at Axminster, but the Axminster reviews constantly mention what a pain changing the paper is. I had a look in-store and the machine just looked kind of flimsy for something that's meant to be a precision machine, but no idea if that actually impacts performance.

What I liked about the Laguna was the digital height gauge, the ease of changing paper and the quick-change height lever. It's also an absolute unit at like 25KG more and just feels really solid. Dust extraction is 100mm all the way to the drum, which basically keeps it completely dust free, which is impressive. It has optional extension tables that apparently adjust nice and level with the conveyer, although I haven't needed to use these yet.

Back