Drum Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
For reasons that I'm not totally sure about I' considering buying a drum sander - should've been before I built the kitchen not after but hey ho. Anyone got any useful advice?

There appear to be two variations; first double drum supported at both ends and as an engineer that appeals or second the ones that are open at one end which seems to be a fundamentally less than great idea. If anyone has one I'd love to hear the pros and cons in real life.

I used to have the senior drum sander, supported both ends which seem to be highly desirable if you look at eBay prices. Well......my own experience, which is why I sold it was that it was gutless. Anything other than a whisker (that’s when it was just touching the board) off on a decently wide board and it would either stall the drums or stall the belt that takes the stuff through it. I only ever used to use one drum as the resistance of both drums made it next to useless........but it might also have been the silly person using it (me)!
If it’s for veneers, then it’s probably a good investment, if it’s for say levelling kitchen doors (which is what I wanted it for), I personally wouldn’t buy one. For this type of job, a proper wide belt sander is needed.

As a fellow mech. eng. I can understand your opinion on the closed type. However the open ended ones are more available on the s/h market because they tend to be a hobbyist machines, at least in the smaller end of the range. I bought my 16/32 open ender s/h about 10 years ago and haven't regretted it. I've replaced the transport belt from the original rubber one to the abrasive type which are a lot cheaper. One frustration I have had is getting the cylinder exactly parallel the bed. The adjustment mechanism is not the most sophisticated of designs. I have had to resort to shimming the bed to match the drum.
With regard to flexibility due to the open end, I think some of the latest models have a removable support which keeps the whole thing rigid. I have considered fitting a homemade support to mine. Just haven't got round to it yet - maybe when I've exhausted all other lockdown activities.........
Brian

Have you had any issues with droop (it not you)? I can just see it coming out of parallel and I really am sick of dicking with machinery more than I do the actual job at hand. I do have a jet drill press and its pretty good so I've some faith in them. There don't seem to be many options; powermatic (ouch), Axminster, Jet and various rebranded chinese stuff (iTech/Holzmann/etc).

Do you have one Droogs? I know Laguna have got a decent rep over here (I'm in the USA until next week) but getting a credible review online is nigh on impossible.

Unfortunately no, I got to play with one at Harrogate last year or year before when they first came over here and played with one on visits to family in the states. Busy saving up to get one. the 16" will cover 95% of what I would do and gives me flexibility for anything bigger by being open and can turn things around and also has the space on the body work for a swing/drop support arm to be fitted if you really are worried about being parallel.

Ok thanks for that. I was tempted by the Powermatic, the cabinet shop in the ship yard rated their gear highly, but its pretty pricey and pretty big too. I'm also thinking that Jet may just disappear from the UK shortly - noticed alot of outlets for them either have no stock or have reduced the range available ie Axminster.

Strange you mention Powermatic, I had a look at theirs as well but liked the feel of the Laguna more. Though it has to be said, I am trying or was trying to save up to get 3 new bits of kit, a new Drum sander and chose the Laguna to save up for, a new resaw BS and chose the Powermatic and a new wood lathe and chose the Nova. Who would have thunk I would go all colonial

:)

It is fantastic, I spent a month making constructional thickness veneers for SWMBOs aunties wainscoating (for me to then do marquetry flowers etc on the panels before pressing) in San Fransico last year on a visit. I love that machine and the colour/style is just cool as f... It was getting used for all the construction stuff for the house and my bits and was in use for around 14 hours a day with no problems. We had a Laguna extractor fitted to it and it just kept on going. Carter guides fitted and with a high single point fence and got very even veneers for me to use. All finished off on the Laguna drum sander

Will see if I can get her to send some pics

Well, the way to look at it is - can you justify breathing??????
=;
:-k
[-o<

\:D/

Latest posts

Back