Drum sander.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royfrank

Reaction score
I want to buy a small drum sander. My dust extractor produces a suction of 112 cfm. (53 l/s). It is a Record Power DX1000. The smallest drum sander I can find produces 750cfm. I don’t want to upgrade my extraction system. Any suggestions please?

Not quite sure what youre hoping for? You want to buy a machine and connect it an extractor that only collects one seventh of the air needed but you dont want to buy anything or increase what you have.

How are you hoping to overcome this?

Welcome to the forum. People can be a little, well, direct sometimes but the intention is to provide valuable advice even if it feels a little "pithy".

If you're adamant not to change your extractor for a 100mm-suitable one then I think your only option is to hook it up but run the feed very very slowly and take very thin passes so the hoover has a chance to clear. Wear a good mask and then leave 24/48 hours for settling and go back and hoover it up.

Going to that palaver a few times will probably result in better extraction seeming like good value.

Seems a huge requirement for dust extraction. Currently I have a Performax 1632 connected to a twin motor Nilfisk vacuum and although the dust collection could be better the only dust that escapes falls on the belt and drops on the floor.

I phrased my question badly. What I want to do is find a drum sander that will suit my extraction system. I have never used one, but want to sand an end grain cutting board, approx. 270mm wide. I tried putting it through my thicknesser.....I won't do that again, had to change my trousers...

I use a cheap belt sander from B&Q for sanding the end grain of chopping boards. It works fine. I usually use a jury-rigged wide mouth leading to the extractor for dust removal, but wear a mask too.

A drum sander would give you precise thickness control, but that is not needed for chopping boards. I suppose it would be useful if you were in production and making dozens, but then you'd invest in the right sander and extractor.

3F4F7829-3E16-4A8E-B72E-E61640E4D4CA.jpg
IMG_3435.jpeg
I am presently refurbishing a 100 year old two sided butcher's block. Its 7" thick.

This is being done with my Makita 4" belt sander mostly, starting at 40 grit (very aggressive) and moving up. Final finish will be with a ROS.

If you need to thickness it at all, then by far the easiest and cheapest way (versus buying a trim sander) is to use a router sled. Quick and easy.

Attachments

• IMG_3435.jpeg
    IMG_3435.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
  • 3F4F7829-3E16-4A8E-B72E-E61640E4D4CA.jpg
    3F4F7829-3E16-4A8E-B72E-E61640E4D4CA.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • 4B49A96F-7554-4AF0-BE68-7407D2D89F84.jpg
    4B49A96F-7554-4AF0-BE68-7407D2D89F84.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Back