Drum Sander or Alternative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedman

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if it's not perhaps you could guide me to it.

I'm looking for someone who has a drum sander who might help me finish some thin strips of bog oak and sycamore for a chess board. The strips are currently sawn and I'm looking to make them flat in preparation for gluing onto strips of MDF. There are about 6 strips of bog oak and 5 wider strips of sycamore. Please contact me if you could help me out with this. I'm based just outside Kettering in Northamptonshire

Alternatively if you have any other ideas as to how I can achieve this then please let me know.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Kind regards

There's a really simple thicknessing jig that enables you to plane small pieces like this to the same thickness with high levels of accuracy. It's a variation on a shooting board, and should take an hour or two to make. Here's one way of doing it, but there are plenty of others.

My dad made a chess board when I was a nipper. Thats over 60 years ago. He made it by hand. All you need to do is get one face flat and the sides EXACTLY square. He glued them down one piece at a time to make sure the fit was perfect. Then when its all dry, just plane or sand the whole top to make it all blend in.
My sister still has that chessboard, it still looks good as new.

Back