Drum sander for finished Kumiko panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo2076

Reaction score
Hi there! I make quite a lot of Kumiko panels (Japansese woodwork) and sometimes I need to clean them up and reduce the width of these panels to fit frames etc. Is a drum sander gentle enough to do this kind of work? I know a thicknesser would most likely destroy the piece so was wondering whether the sander would be a better fit.

A nice wide drum sander or belt sander with a motorised infeed belt would be fine. You can fit different grit belts on and adjust how much you take off with each pass and the feed rate. If you are doing this as a business and have the flow through to justify the cost of one there is an excellent machine up for auction on the BPI woodwork tools auction just now

I got very interested in Kumiko projects over lockdown and soon invested in a AXMINSTER TRADE AT406DS DRUM SANDER which has been used a lot. As you are looking for it is great for cleaning up or 'thicknessing' completed panels. I have also found it to be very helpful in preparing the kumiko strips to different thicknesses. These are anywhere between 2mm and 4mm thick which is a bit too thin to put through the drum sander on their own so I have an 18mm thick plywood sled that I use to do multiple strips at once. Preparation of Kumiko strips was the reason why I bought the drum sander but since then I have used it for many other operations as well. Currently I am making some boxes with Kumiko lids and the drum sander is great for final preparation of the 4mm thick bottoms in the boxes.

@jimbo2076
Pictures please, I love the look of those. Never got around to making one.
It sounds like it should work but I would be slightly concerned about it flicking the edges when running accross the grain.

Ollie

Thanks for the feedback guys. Exactly what I was looking for!!

Here is a picture of what im working on
20211118_185935.jpg

I have one of the Axminster ds635 or whatever it's called....

Im doing a lot of template routing and somtimes the wood moves a but between rough cutting the blanks and final routing. The drum sander is ideal for taking out that bit of movement when a thicknesser would just brutalise the parts.

People recommended I didn't buy a drum sander but I find it hugely useful.

Sure I'd have a wide belt if I had the space or the amps, but the drum sander is the poor man's alternative.

I've owned a Axminster st480 for a number of years which is spot for what I do.
Some of the best drum sanders are made by Supermax (American). These are rebranded when sold in the UK. Mine is really a 19/38 Supermax. It's sanding width is 19inch, normal, but can sand up to 38inch but you have to turn your project round to sand the remaining bit. There's a little gadget on the side that raises the bed a fraction so that you do not have a noticable line down the wood (this is what can happen on some models)

It depends on what you want to do but the latest Supermax is marketed by Luguna. They do a 16/32. The features on this model have been upgraded and seem great - a quick riser and electronic depth gauge to name a few.

If I was looking for one today then Luguna would certainly be a prime candidate. Take a look at the videos. One supplier is Westcountrymachiery4wood.

I got very interested in Kumiko projects over lockdown and soon invested in a AXMINSTER TRADE AT406DS DRUM SANDER which has been used a lot. As you are looking for it is great for cleaning up or 'thicknessing' completed panels. I have also found it to be very helpful in preparing the kumiko strips to different thicknesses. These are anywhere between 2mm and 4mm thick which is a bit too thin to put through the drum sander on their own so I have an 18mm thick plywood sled that I use to do multiple strips at once. Preparation of Kumiko strips was the reason why I bought the drum sander but since then I have used it for many other operations as well. Currently I am making some boxes with Kumiko lids and the drum sander is great for final preparation of the 4mm thick bottoms in the boxes.
Hi, I am back again with the questions - I went to the Axi site to see which drum sander you had purchased as I am facing the same problem, but the 406 doesn’t seem to be sold there now. Is there another DS similar, so I could heat an idea? Thanks, Robyn

Hi, I am back again with the questions - I went to the Axi site to see which drum sander you had purchased as I am facing the same problem, but the 406 doesn’t seem to be sold there now. Is there another DS similar, so I could heat an idea? Thanks, Robyn

The link I included in the original post doesn't work any more, but the drum sander is still listed here.
However, it is on back order at much more expensive now. But it will give you the specification if that is of any help. If there was one thing I'd like that is missing on this model it would be the ability to thickness down to 2mm as the strips I use are 2.3mm thick and occasionally I do need to run strips through the drum sander. On such occasions I have to use a 'thicknessing sled' but that's not such a hardship.

Kumiko is a really satisfying area of woodwork so I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I do.

The link I included in the original post doesn't work any more, but the drum sander is still listed here.
However, it is on back order at much more expensive now. But it will give you the specification if that is of any help. If there was one thing I'd like that is missing on this model it would be the ability to thickness down to 2mm as the strips I use are 2.3mm thick and occasionally I do need to run strips through the drum sander. On such occasions I have to use a 'thicknessing sled' but that's not such a hardship.

Kumiko is a really satisfying area of woodwork so I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I do.
Thanks for that info on the drum sander. I have located a drum sander that is sold in NZ that has a minimum depth of 0.8mm to a max. Of 75mm. As it is a Laguna which are an international company, maybe you might find it available near you? Here is the NZ link Laguna SuperMax 16/32 Wide Drum Sander CE Model*. By the way, thank you very much for providing the minimum requirement.

Thanks for that info on the drum sander. I have located a drum sander that is sold in NZ that has a minimum depth of 0.8mm to a max. Of 75mm. As it is a Laguna which are an international company, maybe you might find it available near you? Here is the NZ link Laguna SuperMax 16/32 Wide Drum Sander CE Model*. By the way, thank you very much for providing the minimum requirement.
That looks like the dream machine - a digital read out and super fine thicknessing which would be great for veneers as well.

I have owned and used one of these for 12 months and its a great bit of kit make sure you get the infeed and outfeed tables with it and buy yourself an abrasive cleaning stick.
Invest some time in setting it up properly and it will give you great accurate results mine gets used on a variety of soft woods and hard woods and i regularly go down to 2.5mm on one product i make
Its a great work horse if it went bang or was unrepairable i would replace it like for like no hesitation

I have owned and used one of these for 12 months and its a great bit of kit make sure you get the infeed and outfeed tables with it and buy yourself an abrasive cleaning stick.
Invest some time in setting it up properly and it will give you great accurate results mine gets used on a variety of soft woods and hard woods and i regularly go down to 2.5mm on one product i make
Its a great work horse if it went bang or was unrepairable i would replace it like for like no hesitation
Hi! Do you have a link for the abrasive cleaning sticks? Thanks Bobby

Back