Drum sander conveyor belts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippymint

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

To all drum sander owners. My question refers to the Drum Sanders Conveyor belt only.

Has anyone purchased and used a BND abrasive belt for their machine. I have never bought one from them and would like to know if the belts quality and performance is good or bad and as they use a p100 grit, does this Mark the stock when undertaking a pass?

All comments appreaciatted, even relating to another good brand.

Many thanks

Cannot comment on the used belts but can say that yes P100 will leave a marked surface on your timber which will need further sanding through the grades to give a good finish :)

I think he means as the conveyor belt. Mine feels like something around 100G and doesn’t appear to cause problems, in theory your part is not moving relative to the belt

BND are pretty reputable for abrasives, I’ve used them and never had any issues with their recommendations

The conveyer belt on my old 22-44 Performax is 120 grit, both the original and aftermarket replacement. I've never noticed marks even when sanding to 180 grit. There is still more sanding to do after that would take care of any minor stuff. I doubt the 100 grit would make much of a difference. However the problem I have with the machine is getting the conveyor belt to track and keep the setting. One tip is when turning off the conveyor stop it so the seam is either on top or underneath the table and not on the rollers.

Pete

Try putting a couple of wraps of duct tape in the centre of the rollers of the conveyor this effectively crowns the rollers which should stop the belt tracking side to side.

Thanks I have been playing with aluminium tape in 3 and 4 locations with 1, 2 and 3 wraps and it still drifts. I'll play with it a while longer and flog it if I can't get it to work.

Pete

Aluminium tape is probably a little too thin you need a fairly pronounced lip to give it the idea ive done it sucessfully on my jet 16-32 which I believe is the same as your Performax and when I was gainfully employed on full size conveyors up to 42" wide though not with duct tape but 3/16-1/4 steel strip.It may be your belt has deformed too much for this to be effective.

I think he means as the conveyor belt. Mine feels like something around 100G and doesn’t appear to cause problems, in theory your part is not moving relative to the belt
Yes my bad there, must learn to read the post properly next time ;):)

Aluminium tape is probably a little too thin you need a fairly pronounced lip to give it the idea ive done it sucessfully on my jet 16-32 which I believe is the same as your Performax and when I was gainfully employed on full size conveyors up to 42" wide though not with duct tape but 3/16-1/4 steel strip.It may be your belt has deformed too much for this to be effective.

Both the old belt and the brand new belts do the same. At the moment the metal tape is 0.013"/0.33mm thick so the three layers I have on the middle are 0.039"/1mm thick with two wraps on either side and one wrap on the outside of them. So from one side to the other equally spaced are 0.33mm, 0.66mm, 1mm, 0.66mm, 0.33mm. The edges don't touch the roller. I have had it with two wraps in the middle and then one wrap equally spaced on either side and that didn't work either. I'll keep playing but am not hopeful as it is a common frustration that has plagued several woodworkers I know of. They ditched them too. I think a good part of the problem is the rollers are 0.75"/19mm in diameter.

Pete

Try putting a couple of wraps of duct tape in the centre of the rollers of the conveyor this effectively crowns the rollers which should stop the belt tracking side to side.
Thanks I have been playing with aluminium tape in 3 and 4 locations with 1, 2 and 3 wraps and it still drifts. I'll play with it a while longer and flog it if I can't get it to work.
Pete
This subject came up some months ago and I vowed to myself that I would do something about my machine ready for its next usage. Well I did it.
I happened to be engaged in a job which involved 25mm heat shrink; the type used for tennis racket handles, so I got some extra to tryout on my sander. I coated the drive roller along its whole length and on the free roller I put on two layers to create a bit of a crown. It has worked brilliantly well. The traction is much improved and the tracking is now under complete control which I never had previously
Brian

Sounds like your on the right track Ian. Keep us posted.

Ian, Pete and any other person can I get your opinions on the following matter please.
I read (on many of the American forums like Lumberjacks) and have experienced the dreaded problem when stock infrequently slips and can stop, albeit temporary on the conveyor belt and causes a slight divot/sanding mark on the wood.
It goes without saying that most people get over this with supervision and placing a little pressure on the stock - at infeed and outfeed stages. Others never seem to have a problem or do they.
Like me, users check the settings of the machine and make necessary adjustments changes parts as required as per the manual. Some stock passes through brilliantly then another has a problem.
I never see manufactures helping out which is a shame especially as it seems to be a wide spread problem. There must be a design problem as you should not have to keep checking and adjusting after limited use and on a machine that costs in excess of a £1000 (you don't have to do this with other machines).

Any views on what the problem really is?

I haven't had the divoting problem but I don't try to take more than a hair or two a pass and I will pass the work through a couple times before adjusting the thickness. They are not like a planer that will power through a cut if a little deep. Even with 36 grit I take light passes.

My Performax started out as the original radial arm saw attachment that used the saw motor to spin the drum. Later I added the stand and conveyer feed. The machines have gone through many owners like Jet and now are a SuperMax product with new doodads like digital thickness readouts. I have no idea if they have solved all the issues with them or not. Someone with the new beasts would be the ones to ask.

Pete

Back